Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: rogers

Re: Problem with Large Data Usage on My Bell Bill

The term data means the actual usage whether a charge applies or not.  The bill shows total data, ~ 3.5GB which includes charged and " free" usage.

Data transfer over the fone goes via RIM servers, over the internet, via the web browser.

It is interesting how much more efficient the system became ; on dec 27 it transferred 3.5 MB in 16 hrs (?) , on Jan 1, 1 GB in 5 hrs.

Has Bell charged for the data ? If not that will indicate that the application doing the transfer was within the term "unlimited text, picture and video messaging".

Terminating the data usage is ok I suppose but I would reinstall it and findout what is happening on the line.

More interesting that way. For example, have the unit switch on in your presence and take a look c.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Rogers/Bell

Eric and JSanders - Thank you for your insights.

I went to a Bell store today and they DOA'd my device. They too thought it was outragious and felt something was wrong with the device.

I like your idea about  the "network traffice controller" just downloaded it!

Thanks to everyone.

New Contributor

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, it is interesting, i'm going to keep a watchful eye on it and see what exactly is going on.

Regular Contributor
My Device: LEAP and Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

I would like to add to this thread my experience in excessive data transmission although not with a BB.

My wife's phone is on an Android OS phone. For a very short period of time during the night f.ex. 3:15 AM her phone transmitted massive amounts of data. Almost every night at the same time. Within a few days her alotted 200 MB for one month was over 750 MB. The phone was on but never used as she slept. She does not social network, use apps, or any other extra feature Both she and I received emails from our carrier, AT&T, that she will be charged for the overage.

I called our carrier. They were very cooperative in this matter seeing 750 MB in a few nights when most people are asleep is ludicrous. We never paid for the overage. On the HTC support forum I started a thread concerning the extra data transmission. Its seems many people have this problem.

I would suggest you kindly call your carrier and explain the usage is not your doing in hope of they will credit you the extra charge. Furthermore, be sure mobile networking is turned off while at home. Use WiFi instead. If you are out, only use mobile networking when absolutely necessary turning it on then off after each browsing session.

Your carrier will also ask you to do a series of procedures on the phone in question. They can probably advise you in this matter.  Afterall, AT&T and Bell are more or less one in the same and probably use the same technology

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Priv
My Carrier: Three UK

JSanders wrote:

On a BlackBerry, the data used via pictures and videos sent via SMS/MMS is acutally taken from the RIM data package, not part of the unlimited texting. The text message is part of the SMS, but not the data attached.

If the pictures/videos sent when i send an MMS message come out of my data plan then I'm going to have to get slightly pisssed at my carrier as they charge extra for these messages outside of my text allowances with a truely unlimited plan.

If there a RIM article confirming this?

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jamead1981 wrote:
If the pictures/videos sent when i send an MMS message come out of my data plan then I'm going to have to get slightly pisssed at my carrier as they charge extra for these messages outside of my text allowances with a truely unlimited plan.

If there a RIM article confirming this?

There could be, I've never looked, but since it's a carrier charge, not RIM, they'd be the ones to ask.

And, it could vary from carrier to carrier and plan to plan, yours may differ.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks so much for posting, I have the same problem with my new Torch. I use less than a MB almost every day and then on 3 different dates I got blasted with 380-900 mb on 3 different days when I knew I hadn't been using the phone for anything other than the usual. Bell agreed to credit the overage related to those dates because they were so strange. They advised that I immediately disconnect the wifi. They think someone may have hacked and remotely tethered or something. I will just ask for a new phone at the Bell store and hopefully they'll give me one. I'm glad I'm not crazy! I hope they credit you for the amount not covered by your plan.

Regular Contributor
My Device: LEAP and Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

mtriciam. Do let us know your experience at the Bell store exchanging your phone so others may benefit from your results.

IMO, it does not make sense to disable your wifi while at home. The data usage should be due to mobile networking. Try disabling that first while wifi is still active. Then vice versa so you can obtain more information.

Almost everyone complaining about excessive data transmission on Android and on BB is due to mobile networking.

New Contributor

Hi Mitriciam,

Thank you for your post.  The Bell Mobility store i am dealing with has been very patient and helped to create a ticket with Bell Head Office.  The ticket will allow me to obtain a credit on those charges.  So yes, the charges will be refunded.  Yahoo!

Interesting thing is I was wondering while i was going through this experience, if it was at all possible for someone to hack into my phone....

Is this possible????? Does anyone know for sure, and how can we protect ourselves? 

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch
My Carrier: Bell

I had huge usage charges for a month in August. Bell claimed I was tethering.

I was definitely not tethering.

They could not tell me which apps or where the connection was going to.

My only thought was that an application I downloaded for Blackberry App World behaved like tethering behaved. 

I uninstalled all apps that were not default on the blackberry.

Gradually I reinstalled the apps that I really wanted, and called Bell every few days to ask if the atrocious data charges were showing up.

The charges did not reappear.