Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problem with Large Data Usage on My Bell Bill

We can't protect ourselves, I was told at the Bell Store that I was going to be accused of lying through the whole process and I'd have to fight. Right now they've switched me to my Pearl until they can look into it but I keep getting told this is unheard of. I also keep being given different contact numbers and none of them are helpful and all of them ask the same questions I've answered before. There is no way to prove how I am or am not using the data, all I know is that the days I have huge surges are like all other days of the month when I use less than a mb. I'm not tethering, have never looked at a video or downloaded music, or listened to podcasts. If it continues I'll either have to get an unlimited plan for the next 3 years or buy myself out of the contract for $400 and switch to Rogers. I have this "great phoen" with all these useful features and I don't even want to connect my social feeds or gps for fear of another data hit. Bell already made it clear they will only credit me once for the overage.

New Contributor

I'm just sooooo frustrated!!

2 of the surges happened while I was at home with the wi-fi turned on. My understanding is that when I'm at home the data usage switches to wifi. There is no explaination for it and I'm so sick of dealing with Bell reps assuming I'm either lying or a techno **bleep**

New Contributor

Great idea! That is also my next step....too bad because I really like the calorie count app by fat secret and that's the only thing I've downloaded other than bejewelled.

What a pain!

I don't have a Blackberry, but used a Bell stick for my home computer (We don't get broadband on our acreage). My first bill was for $1,750.00 and all I'd done was receive e-mails - and not even the ones with pictures or videos. My bill stated that I'd used hours of data time in the middle of the night. I fought with Bell and eventually got them to drop most of the charges. I paid them more than I owed, but they still put me in the hands of "Collections" because they wanted another $80+. I never paid them and finally wrote them to "Cease and Disist, or put it in Court". It finally ended. Apparently this is a common problem with Bell. They suggested that maybe a neighbour was picking up the signal etc. etc. As with other people, every time I called I got a different person and had to go through the whole story again. I spent hours on the phone getting it sorted. I now use Rogers!

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi,

I had the same problem last month with my iPhone4. I was notified that my AT&T account had a large internet transmission.  (1.5MB). I have only 2 MB on my plan.  The next day I had another transmission for 1.75MB !  All these transfers were done at around 1: 00 AM.  ( I was asleep).

I called AT&T, and they were very accommodating : Checking my normal usage indicated that I do not use such high amounts.  They deducted the amounts, and I was not charged. They were very professional about it. However,  I now check every so often ,to  see if this recurs.  

I think it may have been the iPhone. Smiley Happy  I am getting a new Torch 9800 tomorrow, I need my Blackberry!

Thank you

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
New Contributor

My phone was using 300-500mb at a time, which is huge. Bell ended up coaching me through reinstalling my OS and I haven't had a problem since. Their best guess was an app was acting as a tether and bleeding data usage. My wifi also wasn't connecting properly so all my data was radio instead of most being wifi. Make sure you don't grant anything trusted app status, it isn't necessary. I may have made that mistake. I now check app reviews and data usage reports before downloading. The best free download I've had on my Torch is network traffic control 2.0. It tracks all your wifi and radio traffic and you can have it alert you when you approach your maximum usage. I don't do much on the Torch and my wifi use is still almost 150 mb so keep a close eye in those first few months, make sure your wifi is operating automatically, and save your downloads for when you're connected to wifi! I really do love the Torch now that the bugs are worked out

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

Contributor

Terrific!  Thanks I shall follow that when I get my 9800 .  

Thanks again;

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
New Contributor

Just as a side note...

The Smartphone like the Torch and even more so the Iphone, use a lot of data in their operating systems and downloads so you may want to really consider more data. Even with only a few hours a day max not connected to wifi and my radio traffic was over 3 mb. I just know how much those overages cost. I have 500mb and there was barely a price difference when I changed from 5mb which wasn't enough for my Pearl previously.

Contributor

Thanks for the info.  My iphone was OK for the first 4 months or so. (Before the large transmission barrage.) I don't go on the web that often, so I should be ok (I hope).  I think I may have had an app that continually ran data.  The BB 9800, while not able to multi-task, is able to close each app as you finish your work, or try to open another app.  Thanks again.  This forum is much better than the Apple Forum.

Take care

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

Even me had the same problem before, my phone used 4.5 GB of data within 3 days only!

I live in Qatar
I use Vodafone Qatar
And I use an Unlimited BIS & Streaming Plan

I contacted Vodafone BIS Technical Team, they went all over my charges and were able to check what website I have visited and what costed me all that.

And they saw that my BlackBerry sometimes switched me from the blackberry.net apn to web.vodafone.com.qa apn so I was charged for normal WAP usage out of my Data Subscription.

But .. I am thankful to them as they removed all the charges and they adviced me to Wipe my device, install what I had again normally

Check that the APN option in my Settings is disabled or set to blackberry.net

And Thanks to Vodafone Qatar .. It was all fixed Smiley Happy