Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problem with MP4 Video Files

I have a problem with MP4 video files which I try to play back on BB Bold device. The files are produced by custom software which encodes video with MPEG-4 Part 2 and multiplexes into MP4 format/container. The files are sort of valid and are playable on various devices, including mobile, but not on BB Bold we have as a reference BB device.

The played file is paused immediately and stays at 0:00 without any further progress. Since the device does not explain what exactly is not liked, it is difficult to tell what could be thee reason for such behaviour. An attempt to tune file output to contain structure (atoms, flags, fields etc) as close as possible to a file that plays fine was not successful.

I wonder if there is any technical information on supported MP4 format/files, which might be helpful to troubleshoot the problem? Perhaps some additional requirements, such as a device treats certain optional section/atom as mandatory etc.

I did see supported formats document http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05482&sliceId=1&docTy... and what I can say that I have files which meet mentioned requiments on codec, resolution, frame rate, which are OK for x86/x64 systems but still don't play on BB.

Any information or idea on further tracking the problemis greatly appreciated.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Problem with MP4 Video Files

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

That document is the only reference document we have on the matter. Strange that matching all conditions and it still will not play. One more thing to try is to use Media Manager (not Media Sync) to move the file to the BB...that has options that will transcode the file to be optimized for the device. I recently had avi's which, while some would play just fine, one would reliably crash my BB at the same point every time. Using Media Manager to move the file (allowing it to transcode) fixed that problem for me.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problem with MP4 Video Files

Thank you for your reply. The idea is that our software produce compliant files, so that they are immediately playable without necessity to transcode. At the moment they are playable but not on a BlackBerry device.