Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

amf
Contributor
My Device: Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Smart Communication (Phils)
Accepted Solution

Problem with new Storm2 9550

[ Edited ]

I have a 9550 (from Verizon and unlocked) and using it with a SIM for Smart Comm (GSM only) in the Philippines.

My problem is:  I have data connection (BIS) in some locations and none in some. These locations are specific and repeatable.

Example:

1) In locations A, B, C, D, I have BIS (EDGE/GPRS logo). The 1st bold entry in HRT has an APN: blackberry.net. Even with a battery pull, everything is working okay. When I register to the network, I receive the message about the registration. Service books are complete. No problem whatsoever.

2) However, in locations E, F, G, H, I have no BIS (edge/gprs logo). The 1st bold entry in HRT shows APN: emgsm.vzw3g.com. I can connect to BIS only via wifi. Registering to the network says the message has been sent but I don't receive a message back. Battery pulls doesn't make any difference. I have to send the service books via web to get the browser.

If above item number 2 exists and I go to locations in item number 1, I can get BIS (EDGE/GPRS logo) and the APN in HRT's 1st entry changes to blackberry.net. This happens without any battery pulls. Everything will work okay. Registering to the network and I get a message back.

If above item number 1 exists and I go to locations in item number 2, everything is still okay except when I do a battery pull. If I pull the battery, the first bold entry in HRT goes back to emgsm.vzw3g.com and I get edge/gprs and can connect to BIS via wifi only. Registering to the network says message sent but I don't get any message back.

I have already wiped and re-installed the OS a few times, changed SIM card (same network and number) and the problem still exists.

Can someone please help me with this. Thanks a lot!\

allan

EDIT:

I can make and receive voice calls and SMS.

amf
Contributor

Re: Problem with new Storm2 9550

Anyone please...
amf
Contributor

No ideas????
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

in my opinion, in locations ABCD you are using a carrier that provides BlackBerry services

whereas in locations EFGHI you are roaming on another carrier that does not provices BlackBerry services.

can you confirm that you are switching carriers ?

if you are, you can also check in the "manage connections" and network setting that you did not configure your BlackBerry do do data "except wen roaming".

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
amf
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Xandrex! Nope, I'm not switching carriers. In both locations ABCDE and EFGHI, I'm using the same BIS-activated carrier. In addition to my first post above, if I wipe my device in locations EFGHI, I don't get any HRT entries even after registering to the network. If I wipe my device in locations ABCDE, I get the appropriate HRT entries. I will try requesting my telco to de-provision and then re-provision my device and see if it will help. Thanks again.
amf
Contributor

Found the solution!

I switched to another service provider and it's now working fine! Just for the info of those in the Philippines. My previous BIS is from Smart Communications. I am now with Globe Telecom!

Thanks to everyone!

Super Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Smart Telecommunications Philippines

Hi, 

I use smart for my bb storm 2 9550 open line from verizon. I sent an SMS to 2207 and subscribed to BB Day.  but i didn't get any settings for BIS applications. 

Any thoughts on this one? Please help me out. 

also, on the home screen, there is an "Activiation Required" on the top where it should say the carrier name "SMART".

Do i have problems for my phone? should i return it to the shop where i bought it? is there any remedy for this problem? 

Please help me, Thanks!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry storm-2 9550
My Carrier: Vodafone

Originally Posted by Calix 

Here is how to fix this issue:

If you are using an unlocked Verizon Storm and have "Activation Required" on your home screen or your phone number displays incorrectly, Dial # # 000000 (Send). In the Menu add your phone number and select save. The device will reboot and activate.

I have done it worked for me in India.

Have great time with BB.

My Device: Not Specified

i have same problem with u... the worst is i can't access to facebook and to my twitter account. why is that so?