Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Problems Connecting Device To Desktop Manager and Apploader.exe

Just got a new BB8900 last Friday. On Monday, I encountered a Reload Software: 552 error code and after checking online forums for options on how to fix I ultimately had to reinstall the operating system and reinstall new apps that weren't archived by the reinstall process. Because I feared getting this error again whenever I rebooted the device, I immediately made backups every hour as I was reconfiguring the device and adding back my apps.

Today I was going to do another backup for good measure and once I connected my Blackberry to the computer with Desktop Manager running, Desktop Manager crashed and gave me the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DesktopMgr.exe
Application Version:
Application Timestamp: 4a4bd539
Fault Module Name: DesktopMgr.exe
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a4bd539
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000d68f5
OS Version: 6.0.6001.
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: c4a7
Additional Information 2: 473b2e845affd1758ca8e66121386d63
Additional Information 3: 83e8
Additional Information 4: 72466a8a5092651f7fe609f9ec3f3489

I then tried the APPLOADER.EXE program locating in program files/common files/research in motion/apploader. I had used this program yesterday to try to delete applications 1 by 1 with the hope that one application was causing the 552 error. Now for some reason this program also is having a problem noting the following in the error log file:

Read from location 1010fffc caused an access violation.

I've looked through multiple forums and haven't found a solution. What I can tell you is this:

1) The phone is working fine but I fear rebooting the phone and getting another 552 error (there were two apps deleted that will be fully deleted on reboot). Would hope everything is fine but I've had two of these 552 errors within 24 and the second one came without any warning. If I get this error there is no way to get to my backup since I can't connect to DM without it crashing.

2) It doesn't appear to be a sync issue but I deleted the Intellisync folder anyway and it didn't fix the problem.

3) Have rebooted my machine with no change to problem.

4) Have reinstalled DM Version 5 (this time without the Roxio Media software) with no change to problem.

5) Because I now get an error when connecting to DM and trying to run apploader.exe, there appears to be a setting on my phone that might be causing the problems (I have no idea what it may be but the APPLOADER program notes a location violation so maybe the Blackberry software is confused about where to find my Apps?)

6) The BlackBerry device manager works fine and notes my device and applicable serial number.

After my last backup yesterday I probably only installed 3-4 other apps that I had lost and organized/moved folders around on the phone. So getting this problem so soon after everything was working fine is mindboggling.
New Contributor

Re: Problems Connecting Device To Desktop Manager and Apploader.exe

Update: Downloaded to an older version of DM from the TMobile site. AppLoader.exe now works but DM still crashes when the device is connected although not immediately. I can try to load apps or do a backup but in the process the program crashes.
New Contributor

Another Update:  I seemed to have found the problem.  While RIM support recommended I do a device wipe I pushed back since the rest of the phone functionality seemed to work fine.  I opted to begin removing applications from the phone one by one and then trying to connect to Desktop Manager. 

Once I removed the ZDNet Tech News For IT Professionals and rebooted the phone, I was able to connect and do a backup. I'm sure this app works fine for almost everyone else, but for some unknown reason (maybe it conflicts with another app on my phone), Desktop Manager did not like it and shut down. I initially reinstalled it again and was able to do another backup but an hour later Desktop Manager shut down again (perhaps in doing an update on news it creates a conflict with Desktop Manager).

Anyways summary of learnings since my issue seemed to be somewhat uniqueSmiley SadCurve 8900)

1) If Desktop Manager shuts down and you've tried other solutions on forums such as deleting the Intellisync folder and reinstalling Desktop Manager, try deleting applications 1 by 1 and rebooting the phone before trying to connect again to Desktop Manager.

2) If you have had this problem, do frequent backups and keep track of what you add to your phone so in case there's a problem you know the most recent apps to remove (in my case I couldn't get to my latest backup since DM would shut down with the app conflict).

3) Only consider a device wipe if you have exhausted your apps removal testing.  Apps which came on your phone which note the vendor in the About section of the app as RIM should be fine.  Also while apps on AppWorld are being offered by BlackBerry there is no certainty that they will work on your phone.

New Contributor

Final Update: While the ZD Net app caused the problem, other news apps which update to your phone also created the problem for me later.  TheStreet.com app and the BNet app also were troublesome. Must be some sort of database issue when multiple news apps are on your phone.  Details have been provided to BlackBerry development and they hopefully will find a long term resolution.
My Device: Storm

Thank you for posting that.  The ZDNet app also killed my desktop app, caused it to crash when connecting the Storm.  When the app was removed, it connected just fine.  I guess the advice to wipe the phone sometimes works because it removes the offending app, when it might be just as well to remove one app at a time to see if things change.