Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Cable & Wireless Lime Barbados

Problems updating 9900 to v7.1

Hi I recently checked my carrier online and saw there was an update v7.01.1716, i have previously updated my phone using the desktop manager without a problem. this time after downloading it from the site and installing after connecting my phone to the pc it said there were no updates, i checked other versions and it was not listed. on checking the other side on desktop manager the top righthad side where there is a question mark, in sources, installed device software it is listed there, but i still i cannot update from there, i there anything i can do to get the update.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Problems updating 9900 to v7.1

Hello,

From your profile, your carrier is Cable & Wireless...and only the Channel Islands C&W supports the 9900, and not the OS level you have specified.

Hence, I cannot replicate, via the official download portal, this:

lillybug wrote:

Hi I recently checked my carrier online and saw there was an update v7.01.1716,

Hence, what I must surmise is that you have instead chosen a different carrier from yours...which is OK, as long as you add one thing to your procedure.

If the OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then, after you download and install to your PC, delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Good luck and let us know!

PS -- your profile also says you have an 8900 rather than a 9900...but I suspect you have updated your BB but not your profile. Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi, I changed my phone to the 9900 bold last November and updated it in April, you are right I did not update my profile. I did notice my carrier was not listed I am Cable & Wireless Lime Barbados and that is the software available on the site. I will try what you suggested as let you know, thanks for responding.
New Contributor

I'm afraid that did not work either.
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

"Did not work"...hmmm...very difficult to provide more guidance with such limited results. I know that the OS reload process, done correctly, "works" and can allow the installation of any carriers OS package onto any BB, as long as they are both the exact same model number. So, perhaps you could list out the steps you did and we may be able to see something that needs adjusting.

Thanks.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

A friend of mine told me this morning that this version is not showing in desktop manager he had the same problem, he had to get our carrier to do the update. But if u have a solution I would be willing to try, these are the steps I took;
My Lime
Blackberry software
In the dropdown box clicked on bold 9900
Clicked download
Filled out the required info
Downloaded
Installed
Connected phone but after that it told me there was no update for my phone yet it is showing in desktop manager under support resources, installed bb device software