Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problems with ALERTS on Blackberry Messenger

Hi fellow forum members, 

I did search this forum before posting this - and I am fully familiar with setting alert tones for different profiles and applications - but this problem is a real hair puller. A friend of mine with the same AT&T Curve and O/S version is experiencing the identical issue - so we believe it is not "operator error" 

AT&T Curve 8310, with O/S V4.2.2.170 

I am trying to set alerts for Blackberry Messenger so that I receive an audio alert when PINGED - however, with everything I have tried, I DO get the audio alert, but once the conversation is opened, I also get the audio alert with EVERY MESSAGE RECEIVED WITHIN THE CONVERSATION! 

Profile settings are as follows (note all are same for IN and OUT OF HOLSTER): 

Level 1 messages:

Tone

Volume - medium

LED  flashing

Number of vibrations - 2 

Messenger Alert

Tone

Number of beeps - 3

Volume - medium

LED flashing

Number of vibrations - 2 

Messenger - New message

Tone

Volume - medium

Number of beeps - 3

LED flashing

Number of vibrations - 2 

I have tried setting Messenger - New Nessage to NONE (no tone) and have also tried setting Volume to MUTE - but then I DO NOT get the audio alert when PINGED. I also tried selecting a "quieter" tone on New Message and setting volume to LOW (so at least the constant alerts would not be so onboxious) - but then the "quieter" tone and lowered volume is what I get for ALERTS. For what it is worth - this problem also exists in the LOUD profile as well. 

What I am trying to accomplish: get an audio alert ONCE when PINGED, and/or ONCE when a new conversation is opened (if not first being PINGED by the sender) - but NO AUDIO ALERT OR VIBRATION WITH EVERY MESSAGE RECEIVED. 

If anyone can help with this, we would be very, very appreciative.

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

Re: Problems with ALERTS on Blackberry Messenger

WelcSmiley Happyme to the FSmiley Happyrums!

I believe regarding the "ping" on bb messenger, it is a vibration.  Kind of like a jolt to buzz ya.  Never knew a way to change the ping to something other than the vibrate. 

Now you can set your messenger alert to make a ringtone sound when a conversation is started. 

Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: vodafone

Re: Problems with ALERTS on Blackberry Messenger

hi..just wandering did you ever get to the bottom of this..because i sure as hell havent!!

ta,simon

New Contributor
My Device: curve 8330
My Carrier: platinumTel

Re: Problems with ALERTS on Blackberry Messenger --- PRODUCT DEFECT

After testing with BB Perl 8130 running 4.5 and a BB Curve running 5.0,

I've come to the following conclusion:

The Ping function in BBM is complete useless.  The developers botched it.

The problem is that the ring profile  for Ping is tied to "BlackBerry Messenger New Message"

instead of the more logical choice of "BlackBerry Messenger Alert".

Thus sending a Ping is no different that just sending a single word BBM like "hi".

No one wants to make their BB ring for every new BBM message because that

is too annoying during a long chat.  So if your wife has  "BlackBerry Messenger New Message"

set to vibrate only, then there is no way to get her attention if she carries her BB in her purse.

A possible workaround is to call her normally and let it ring once as a signal and then hang up and proceed to send a BBM. Not a great workaround.

PROPER FIX --- BBM DEVELOPERS PLEASE READ THIS:

1) Change Ping to use the "BlackBerry Messager Alert" profile

2) Add a new ring profile specific to the Ping feature

Either of these fixes would get the job done. 2 is the best fix. 1 is the easiest to implement.

Thanks!

P.S. I love my new BB. I can easily out type anyone on a iphone/android.

Just wish this one feature worked better. Everything else is perfect.