Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Virgin

Problems with Featured Apps and freezing with 9860

I have a problem with the Torch "freezing"  for several minutes when I switch it on, after it has been off for a while or overnight. If I needed to make an emergency call I'd be completely stuck. It's exasperating & sometimes I feel like just throwing it in the rubbish bin. It's worst when I get a "Featured App" notice. I haven't asked for these notifications to be sent to me and I wish I could stop them, but as soon as one turns up, which is maybe 2 or 3 times a week, that's it for at least 2 minutes until the phone and keys unfreeze and I can use it. I've had the Torch since Nov 11 and the 'freezing' occurred just occasionally at the beginning but has got worse and worse. I do a soft reset frequently but it doesn't help.

Any suggestions gratefully received and how to stop the Featured App notifications.

Roman
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Problems with Featured Apps and freezing with 9860

Hello!

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Otherwise, I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, see what happens.

If the behavior ceases, then think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

Good luck and let us know!
Best!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Hi and many thanks for your response. I've done the reboots many times but not waited a full minute with the battery out, so have now tried that. Reboot time was about a minute only. I'll see how it works over the coming days depending on Featured Apps turning up (can they be stopped?). I wondered if it was a corrupt app so a while ago i cleared all apps and started again with the bare essentials but it didn't help. Thanks again. I'll report back!
Roman
Contributor

Further to the above I decided to try Safe Mode anyway and it was like having a new phone! The escape button and menu buttons actually worked (usually they are frozen for at least a minute moving between screens or apps). Any suggestions on where to go from here would be much appreciated. As I said, I cleared all the apps once and that didn't help. Regards.
Roman
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

When Safe Mode succeeds at curing an issue, that normally means some 3rd party app is the culprit (since Safe Mode prevents any of those from auto-loading). Your process now is to, in Safe Mode, continue removing things (one-by-one) and then rebooting back into Normal Mode. If the behavior continues in Normal Mode, you reboot into Safe and remove another, and reboot back to Normal. You repeat that process until the behavior is cured in Normal Mode, at which point you know the culprit -- the last thing you removed (and you can then put back those other things you removed that were not causal).

The alternative is to cleanly reload your OS from scratch, but leaving off all optional things. Then, slowly and one-by-one, add those things back in until the behavior appears...at which point you know the culprit.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Many thanks for the suggestion. AS I said, I tried removing all apps earlier but it didn't seem to help, but I'll try again as you suggest. I'll get back in due course. Thanks & regards.
Roman
Contributor

I removed all 3rd party apps and it's definitely better, but if it's unused for an hour or longer, the screen still freezes for nearly a minute with the escape and menu keys not working. After that time they work OK until it's left unused for a while. In safe mode they work instantly. Maybe this is normal, or could it have something to do with the media card? I have a 32 GB micro SD card in it but am only using 3 GB at present. Any further comments appreciated. Regards.
Roman
Hall of Famer III

From your new symptoms, there remains something causing a memory leak. Since you have removed all 3rd party apps, it could be a core-attached app, or the core OS itself. What OS level are you running now? I've read that the most recent version (7.1.0.825) greatly improved memory handling, battery life, etc.

Contributor

Thanks for the comments. I'm running 7.1.0.2061 and when I check for updates I get a message that my Blackberry is up-to-date. It froze for 1½ mins getting this info.
Roman
Hall of Famer III

randk wrote:
Thanks for the comments. I'm running 7.1.0.2061

Sorry...no...that is I suspect the "bundle" number. You rather instead need to look at the 3rd line of information:

• KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone

randk wrote:
when I check for updates I get a message that my Blackberry is up-to-date.

When you do that, you are depending solely on what your carrier has released as they control that inquiry process. But, some carriers are much slower to release updates than others. I recall ATT taking many many months to release ANY OS7.1 package for the 9860...it was very frustrating, and required the use of the various "tricks" so as to override the automatic updating functions and use a newer OS package from a different carrier.

Good luck!