Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860
My Carrier: Virgin

Re: Problems with Featured Apps and freezing with 9860

Thanks again. It's 7.1.0.714. The question is if the update will make the difference as I've a friend who bought a 9860 a few months after me and he hasn't had these problems at all whereas I've had them for many months.
Roman
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I can promise you nothing. I have no idea how your situation compares to your friend. Your friend's device might have a newer OS that does not have the problem. Your friend's device might have a different set of apps than yours. From so little data, it's impossible to even guess...and there of course are no guarantees about anything.

What I can tell you is that .714 was still in the range when such problems existed, and reports are that things were greatly improved with .825.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

My carrier, Virgin, couldn't help. I'm in the UK but found the .825 version at Vodaphone in Germany. I downloaded it (285 MB) to my PC and connected the Blackberry and selected the software update menu. It listed available software but the .825 was not in the list of choices. It had the .714 box ticked as installed as the latest version. So, I'm stuck. It's still freezing for at least 45 secs a number of times a day. They are long seconds when you want to get to an email or contact quickly so it's frustrating and I wonder how many hours a year I'm wasting waiting for it to get going. I'm very disillusioned with Blackberry, I must say. Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Roman
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are not stuck...you just missed a step...

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thank you! Very impressed with your knowledge. I did as you said, got the download and installed it. Now here's hoping it will help. I'll let you know. Thanks again and regards.
Roman
Hall of Famer III

Wait...I'm confused...

randk wrote:
I did as you said, got the download and installed it.

I thought you already had done that (your post 13 above)...did I misunderstand?

Plus, from these words, that's not enough...you need to (all on your PC):

1. Download the OS Package
  2. Install the OS package
  3. Delete the Vendor.XML file(s)

Then you can proceed with attempting to use it.

Contributor

Sorry for not being more clear. Yes, I had downloaded it to my PC but the v .825 was not shown. I found the vendor.XML files you mentioned and deleted them. I then connected the BB and the new operating system update was then available for it and I downloaded it to the BB. So, it's now in place on the BB. I'm hoping it will help the problem and let you know. Thanks again.
Roman
Hall of Famer III

Excellent. You are most welcome.

Contributor

The Torch was better for a while with reduced freezing time (5-10 seconds rather than minutes), but now it's worse than ever. If i get up a contact it will take 10 minutes or more before I can get up the full menu or use the return button. Really annoying if you push the wrong contact by accident when you wanted the next on or something. The only solution is removing the battery but that's a pain and takes time. After 2 years, I'm ready to bin it as the worst pda ever as I never had problems with my other ones. OK, I can go through the same procedure as last time with basically a new install, but who wants to do that every 2 months? Very frustrating. I know it's a software issue because it gets worse but I reckon there's something inherently wrong as others don't get this problem. I keep the apps to an absolute minimum and have nothing special or complicated, but it doesn' help. Any further suggestions appreciated before I go over to Android, which my wife has and never has any such problems.

Roman
Hall of Famer III

Given that, the "bare bones" process would seem to be a method for you to try:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck and let us know!