Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Problems with Upgrade to version 4.5 Desktop Manager and Device Software

The one that was successful.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Ok, I have now uninstalled DESKTOP 4.5 and installed DESKTOP 4.2.0.10 [July 26, 2006], and it works fine - no problems with sync.

What should I do next?

Guru I

Good we were successful!.

I believe we are done. Just resolve the post by placing the green check in the post that answered tour question the best

and enjoy the day!

Thanks

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Contributor

hang on, I thought we were going to try and work out how to get DESKTOP 4.5 working with my computer & device???
Guru I

[ Edited ]

Okay,

I had thought the idea was to get you running and having good backups and sync.

Is there a specific reason that you wanted to run 4.5, some feature that you need?

We can certainly install it, I'm just asking?

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-03-2008 03:40 AM

Contributor

I just wanted to have the most up to date software running for my device. My 8310 is now running DEVICE 4.5.0.52. I have also just got an 8GB memory card and want to use all the available media functions (eg. music, video etc). What added funtionality do I get from higher versions of DESKTOP, for example DESKTOP 4.5 or 4.6. Also which versions of DESKTOP will be compatible with:

(a) 8310 Handset?

(b) Windows XP OS?

many thanks.

Guru I

Hi, As far as keeping the desktop version updated to the Device operating system, they have nothing to do with each other. The versions are independent. With Xppro, I would recommend 4.5 which you had installed. I would STRONGLY recommend that you do not load the media manager. That still has some major flaws. This is not just my opinion, you can just read the forums and see that it doesn't work well.

With your media card, your BB will look like a flash drive, you can drag and drop files to it from My computer. Much cleaner and faster, without adding more fail points to the Desktop computer software.

As far as added functionality? The base purpose of all is to sync and backup your BB and PC. The applications loader to facilitate device OS changes and add applications. DM 4.6 is the newest, and we're testing it. I stick with 4.5 only because it has not failed me. I would run any version that proved to be the most stable.

To get you back to 4.5 we do what we have done throughout, do a clean uninstall of the current and load the new.

I would strongly suggest you get a good backup of your device before switching. Just to be safe.

Would like to upgrade now and to which version?

Please let me know!

Thanks

Guru I

Hi,

I was wondering if we are going to install?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Contributor

Hi, sorry for the delay - I am in a different timezone here. I will be back on the work computer in aout 12 hrs and will try then.

thanks.

Contributor

Hi there,

Ok. So after the previous problems I had installing DESKTOP 4.5, I went back to what I had been using, namely v4.2 - which works fine.

I then decided to try and do a step by step upgrade, so I tried installing DESKTOP 4.3. Once it was installed, I got the same error message that I got when I installed 4.5. It said "Your computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again".

Of course my computer IS connected to the Internet, so I shouldnt be having this problem. It appears to be any version above 4.2 is giving me this error. Can you please advise further?

Thanks.