Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8900

Profile Exception Not Working

I haven't had any luck getting profile exceptions to work. I've set both a profile and exception for someone on my contact list. Within the exception screen I have my contact in the "From:" field, and I have it set to use the profile I've set up for this contact. In the custom profile I have all the settings I want for notifications for phone, sms, gtalk, etc. When I get, for example a new gtalk message from the contact that I set up the exception for, it still reverts to playing the notification that is listed under the "normal" profile instead of the profile I've chosen for this contact. Any ideas of what I could be doing wrong? Do gtalk notifications not work when using profile exceptions? Thanks.
Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Profile Exception Not Working

To my knowledge, profile exceptions only work for phone calls.
New Contributor

Hmm the way I understand it the incoming notification for your contact exception uses all the notification settings that you specify within the profile listed in the "Use Profile". Which would mean more than just phone call notifications. I see where you can set a custom ringtone in the exception but why else would there also be the option to use profile?
New Contributor

Here is a link that illustrates my point.

http://bit.ly/pg7Q1

Specifically number 9 leads me to believe that I should be able to also customize my notifications for messages for this specific contact too. Thanks for your help. 

Developer

That would be awesome if it actually worked like that. But I have profile exceptions for my contacts and they are some on my messenger lists (Google talk, Windows Live, and Yahoo) and I have only heard the ring tone exception is when they call.
New Contributor

Ok. Thanks for your help man. Yeah it would be great if that feature actually worked as it says it should.
Highlighted
Developer

You're welcome.

Maybe RIM will pick up on this post and either fix the software, or change their instructions.  :smileywink: