Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Progressive downloads of H264 videos

We'd like to modify our site (http://www.FunnyOrDie.com) so that Blackberry Bold users can play our videos (like they can on the iPhone).

Does Blackberry support progressive download of H264? The videos play great on a Blackberry Bold but we're not clear if the browser can recognize this media type.

Mark

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Progressive downloads of H264 videos

no video streaming available on BlackBerry devices apart from Youtube and the other video-website-I-always-forget.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

If this is true, I'm thinking of returning my Blackberry. Its meant to be a high end device that's video capable,

Mark

Guru I

msmallcombe wrote:

If this is true, I'm thinking of returning my Blackberry. Its meant to be a high end device that's video capable,

Mark

I am a bit curious : first post : you are a web designer.
last post : you are a regular user ?

anyways, what smartphones can do video streams ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

The Apple iPhone has no trouble doing progressive downloads and all our videos are available and playable on this device. We'd like to offer our customers a similar experience on the Blackberry Bold.

Many people who use the Bold will want to watch online video with the device - thousands of iPhone customers visit our site daily for this use case. Customers will want to watch a lower quality version of a video over the Edge and then a high quality version over their local wifi connection. All of this is possible with the iPhone and I'm surprised this isn't available on the Bold (to publishers) as the Bold is marketed as a modern, video playing device.

I'm the VP of Product & Engineering at FunnyOrDie.com. If someone from Blackberry can help, I'd really appreciate some tips on how to make this happen - mark at funnyordie.com

Guru I

you can use Youtube for streaming your videos.

New Contributor

I'm not sure how to answer that suggestion, thanks anyway
Highlighted
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Bell

I usually look at the Developer forums, but this came up in a Google search while looking for something else.

Our devices should be able to do progressive downloads as long as the format is supported, and the important data (like the length) is stored at the front of the file. There are limits such as file length and the occasional bug, but for example the videos on your website seem to work fine on my Bold running 4.6.

We also support the RTSP protocol for streaming, which many apps and sites like YouTube use.

Paul Bernhardt
Application Development Consultant
BlackBerry
@PBernhardt

Did this answer your question? Please accept this post as the solution.
Found a bug? Report it to the Developer Issue Tracker