Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Telecom SpA

Question about alighted BB Curve smartphone

I recently found a BB Curve smartphone at work. I asked if someone had dropped it, and no one had - so I picked it up and went home.

It has no data on it, only the default applications. It also has no SIM card inserted;I've tried to contact the owner, but in no way he could be contacted: zero SMS messages, zero emails, zero BBM messages.

Instead of selling it on eBay, I want to give it to my father. I have some questions about this:

- Let's suppose the owner has filed a criminal complaint including the IMEI; does this block the Curve from doing everything?

- Are there chances that the phone could be localized using the GPS service on the BB Protect ?

Please consider that I don't wanna steal anything; I'm just thinking «if no one pops up, I will use it».

I've also googled with its BBM PIN and found nothing. It's not registered to any website.

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS; PlayBook w/OS
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Question about alighted BB Curve smartphone

Yes, the IMEI could be blocked and reported as lost/stolen.

Why not turn it in to a lost/found at work. Is it branded to a specific carrier? You could always call that carrier and report that you found it and see if they can locate the owner by IMEI or PIN.

1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Telecom SpA

Re: Question about alighted BB Curve smartphone

It's not branded to any carrier and there is no data on it; it was found without the SIM inserted.

So, we've definitely abandoned the idea of trying to track the owner and started using the Curve.

There is one issue: when the Curve and my Bold 9790 interact (with calls), my Bold can't hear anything WHILEthe Curve hears me perfectly. However, when the Curve speaks I hear nothing.

It seems to be an issue between the two BB's, because:

- The Curve can receive/start calls, so the IMEI is not blocked

- I've tried to call my home phone (which is not a mobile) and the conversation was flawless: each party could hear the other.

So, I don't know if this is a Curve-related issue or a Bold-related issue.

Can you help me with this?

Thanks in advance,