Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Vodafone

Question on Memory!!

Hi all..

I am back to Blackberry after a long time.

I recently got myself a Bold 9780 preloaded with OS6. And it has been an awsome experience.

I have BIS unlimited plan activated. My company email is running through BES. Personal emails are configured as well.

Luckiely no major problems till now.

I have to say that Blackberry  has come up a long long way.. The last BB device I used was a 7290..  In between I ventured to Symbians & Androids.. but havent been so satisfied with a handheld in a long time.

I deliberately chose 9780 over 9800, because primarily I was tired of touch screens & sliders and the rest of the specs seemed pretty much similar...

Now comming to the point.. Before I got this phone, I checked the specs on gsmarena and it says  " 256 MB storage, 512 MB RAM"  .

My first question would be, is this the correct specification??

To get a better picture, navigated to Options>>Device>>Applicatoin Management.

Here on top I can slide through apps, cpu, usage, memory,application storage.

Now.. Are these two viz. memory & app storage, different momory spaces??

Are these two 512 MB spaces, one being RAM and other ROM??

When I am in Memory,it shown my running apps like system sw,messages,browser,bbm,phone & home screen.. which I am assuming cannot be closed.

I also have apps like Media, Voice Dialling which show up as running, where as they are not running in the list that comes up when I press and hold the menu button.. is this normal??

The amount of free and used memory fluctuates a bit every now and then, and it sums up to 512 MB

In the Next Screen, i.e Application storage,I have 272 MB used and 240 MB free.

Here I see a list of all the applications that are available in the device.

I have not installed any external app or any new app from app world. So all the applications are the ones that came pre installed with the phone.

In this screen when I click on the '+' sign on top it shown me details of this memory used.

Applications (Blue): 222.3 MB

Other (Yellow): 49.7 MB

Free (Grey): 240 MB.

I would like to know what is this 'Other' and how can I clean it?

I am seeinf a gradual increase in the amount of memory consumed by 'other'. Few days back it was in 30s, and now its touching 50MB..

I like to keep my phone clean & junk free..

My mailboxes/sms are pretty cleaned up, browser cache, pushed contents are all clreared.

So what is taking up this space which is gradually increasing?? how do I free this up??

When I go to Options>>Device>>Storage, it shows details od my memory card and Application Storage: Free Space 239.9 MB.

Is this the same as above?

Clarifications will be much appriciated. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question on Memory!!

In continuation to the above,

When I checked the application storage today,

The memory consumed by 'other' has gone up and it stands at 52 MB

I havent done anything special apart for making and recieving calls since yesterday.

I knw that I do have ample memory now, but the memory consumed by  'other' is increasing slowly but surely.

Anyone???

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Du

It is a typo on GSM Arena, App memory and onboard flash memory are the same thing. And they are 512 MB of RAM

OS takes about 190 - 200 and the rest for the built in apps, I have 271 MB of free space after installing Google Maps, Dictionary, Berry Unit Converter, Flycast Radio, DuoBerry (for downloading YouTube applications)

Visit the BlackBerry Matrix website for all your OS updates and BlackBerry applications! http://blackberrymatrix.yolasite.com/

How to update your BlackBerry Operating System Guide = http://bbmatrix.freeforums.org/how-to-upgrade-a-blackberry-operating-system-with-apploader-t29.html
Trusted Contributor

Thanks MatrixLeader,

Also in the application storage, do you have some memory consumed under 'others' ?

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

yes i have the same problem when i just installed the OS 6 to my BB bold 9700 3 days ago, now i installed the OS 5 back and it seems that i still have the same problem, when i check the storage memory of my device it says 113.34 mb then 5 minutes later it changes from 113.34 mb to 113.27 mb and it keeps going up and down crazily every 5 minutes 

Trusted Contributor

Sorry bbgeek, but mine wasnt a problem at all.. Just questions.

And moreover, I am on a 9780 on which OS 6 comes pre loaded.

This thread is for BB9780.