Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Wind Telecom SpA

Questions about the BB icon after 3G

Hello, I have some questions about the BlackBerry icon which appears after the capitalized "3G" icon. I have found in the Web that the icon simply means that the device is connected to the BIS account, but this sounds somewhat strange to me.

This is because I've noticed that the BB icon only appears while the connection is in 3G: it appears in EDGE and GPRS too, but only when connected to a Wi-Fi network.

So my question is very simple: when I'm not connected to a Wi-Fi network and I'm in EDGE/GPRS, and no BB icon is present after them.. does this mean that BIS is not active? My very first answer would be it doesn't, because I've checked the BIS status in the dropdown menu -> Service Status and it's showed "BlackBerry Internet Service: Connected", even with no BB icon after EDGE or GPRS.

Even the BB Messenger works in EDGE/GPRS without the BB icon.

So what's the real difference between a connection which has a BB icon, and one which hasn't?

Please be as much technical as possible, that's what I'm asking Smiley Happy

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Questions about the BB icon after 3G

It means you're not connected to BIS at a 3G or higher rate.

but obviously if your Services Status says your connected to BIS via mobile network, you're connected.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code