Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Questions on wiping and Backup

I have a user who needs to wipe their BB.  I want them to use Desktop Manager to backup everything.

Will the it backup even photos they have on the unit?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Questions on wiping and Backup

Hello,

Well, it depends...here's what I do.

1) Perform a BBM contacts backup to my SD card (if no SD, then Device Memory)

2) Backup with the Desktop Software, which acts primarily on the Databases:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

3) Even though some versions of the Desktop Software offer to back up Device Memory, I refuse that...instead, I use Mass Storage Mode and copy the contents of Device and Media Card (SD) memory to my PC (which, btw, will then include the BBM contact list backup performed above).

4) Then, after doing whatever it is that I needed (in your case, a WIPE), I reverse the process (copy Device and Media Card Memory back to BB, restore from Desktop Software, restore BBM contacts from the backup created). Depending on the severity of the WIPE performed, you may also have to re-install apps and such:

• KB16307 Actions performed by the BlackBerry smartphone during the removal of stored user and application data

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

The user is actually on a BES server.  We are trying to migrate them to a new server and it is just easier for them to baclup their device, wipe, restore and then activate.

I just want them to make sure they backup everything and use the correct options when they wpe.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You can do the backup yourself from the BES.

The user needs to backup their own media, pictures, etc., on the media card separately simply by connecting to a PC and copying the images from the Media card to the PC.  A wipe of the device should NOT wipe the media card unless instructed to do so (it is not set to do so by default) but making a copy to the PC is good insurance.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I was unaware that I could do a backup from BES.  It is running 4.1.  Where would I find that option?

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Here you go... Article ID: KB11202 How to enable Automatic Wireless Backup for a BlackBerry smartphone on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server

I am NO BES expert, at all. But I know that ^^ can be done.

(And, I'd always suggest an additional backup using the Desktop Software anyway) Smiley Happy

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

Yes...BES changes everything...the timing of things becomes more critical so that you don't accidentally wipe out things in the Messages database, especially if the user has any BIS email accounts configured... Let me remember how I used to do it with BES...it is important that device radios (both carrier and WiFi) remain OFF between steps 1 and 7:

1. Turn off all device radios
  2. Backup (local to BB) BBM Contacts (not relevant if you restrict use of BBM via IT Policy)
  3. Backup with Desktop Software -- full
  4. Mass Storage Mode copy of Media Card and Device Memory
  5. WIPE
  6. Restore from Desktop Software -- SELECTIVE...only perhaps the configuration-type databases, but for sure NOTHING that BES will populate (contacts, calendar, etc.). If the user has BIS email accounts, then include the Messages database. Depending on what the reason for this drastic action is, you may indeed want to not restore anything...just in case something that you restore is the cause of whatever the problem was.
  7. Turn on device radios and reactivate (as necessary) on carrier network
  8. Reactivate with BES -- wait until this is 100% complete before proceeding (use WiFi if you can...it will be much faster).
  9. Validate that all things are OK -- BES could have had copies of even configuration items...if so, it will have overwritten what was restored in 6 above...but that should be OK as they should have been accurate as of the last time BES mirrored those databases from the BB
  10. If relevant, restore the BBM contacts from the file created in step 2...restore it from the PC (as copied in step 4) if necessary.

It's tricky...you want to do the restore before you allow BES to reactivate, especially if there are BIS email messages that you want to repopulate to the BB. If you allow BES to reactivate first, and then restore the Messages Database, it will replace any BES emails that came in between the two actions. Hence, the importance of keeping the device radios off (so that BES cannot reach out and auto-reactivate before you are ready).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................