Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Re: Quirks in DM

Patrickwc -- Did you actually solve the "the computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings . . ." problem by downloading DM v4.2.2?  If so, exactly what software did you download from blackberry.com?  Just the desktop manager software v4.2.2 (English only) or both the DM software AND the USB and Modem Drivers that are listed on the same page?  If just the DM software, did you download with or without media manager?  Would appreciate any help you can give me here.  I downloaded just the DM v4.2.2 software (English, w/ media manager) but now I'm getting a "device not found" message when I connect my BB to my computer.  I'm afraid I'm missing the device drivers -- no BlackBerry drivers are showing in my Device Manager under USB -- but I would have expected all necessary drivers to be included in the DM software rather than needing a separate download of drivers.  Duh.  Many thanks for whatever advice you can give me.

Incidentally, I eliminated the "the computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings . . ." problem by manually registering the four missing .dll files that had caused a series of four 1904 error messages during my installation of DM v4.7.  I don't know whether you were getting 1904 messages when you were trying to install v4.7 but if you were, the fix that worked for me is the first post at http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-to-fix-desktop-manager-error-1904-a-54700/ (although you should read the rest of that string just FYI).  While that fix hasn't worked for a lot of folks running on XP SP3, it worked perfectly for me and I'm running XP Pro SP3.  But while it solved the "the computer must be connected to the internet . . . " problem, I still can't sync to Outlook 2003.  I'm getting a new and different error message now which I'll try to solve before going back to v4.2.2.  But I do need to know how to download v4.2.2 successfully because I seemed to be missing something on my first try (which is why I returned to trying to find a fix for v4.7) and, quite frankly, I'm pretty skeptical that I'll ever be able to fix DM v4.7 completely (and RIM doesn't seem to be trying . . .).  Many thanks for whatever advice and counsel you can give me!

Contributor
My Device: 8820

Orphanannie, sorry about the delay in responding.  I downloaded v4.2 SP2 English w/media manager.  I have not found a solution to the original problem.  I have been running 4.2 SP2 and have had no issue synching my device, so until RIM addresses this issue, I am content, as I can sync my PIM which is Outlook 2003.  However, I do not have the Storm as I seem to recall you do.  This could be why v4.2 SP2 is not recognizing your device, not to mention that the Storm is running OS 4.6 which may factor into the equation. 
Contributor

Hmmmmmmmmmm . . .  You raise an issue that I hadn't even thought about -- i.e., that my Storm is running OS 4.6.  Sure -- that may be related to my device detection issue with DM v4.2.2.  If I can't solve my most recent problem with DM v4.7, I'm going to take one more run at v4.2.2 and try out some suggested fixes for the "device not found" problem.  If none of those fixes work, do you think it makes sense for me to try DM v4.5 or v4.6?  (Or does it make a whole lot more sense to take the dang thang back to Verizon and get myself an iPhone -- which, at this point, I'm seriously considering???  :smileysad: )  I may have one or two more clean un-installs and reinstalls left in me to try to get this BlackBerry syncing, but I'm really, really close to the end of my patience.  Many thanks again for any advice and counsel you (or anyone else in this thread) can offer!
Contributor
My Device: 8820

I am sowewhat biased to Blackberry phones, and I think the Storm is a great phone.  Regarding trying DM v4.5 or 4.6, my hunch is that if you are having the "Connected to Internet" message with v4.7 you will still have it with the lower versions as well. 
Contributor

Thanks, Patrickwc.  I'm partial to BlackBerry, too -- the Storm is my third BB but the other two were work-related BBs on a BES network -- but it's worthless to me if I can't sync with Outlook.  I no longer get the "connected to internet" error in v4.7 but I'm getting another error message now when I try to configure sync in that version.  (It says "DM has encountered a problem and needs to close," etc.)  Can't find a solution to the new error message but I started a thread about it on crackberry.com in an effort to get some suggestions and advice.  If no luck there, I'll give v4.2.2 another try and try to fix the "device not found" that I get with v4.2.2.   If no luck there, I'm going to have to try the other, more recent versions, I think, because I have nowhere else to go.  If the other versions don't work, however, then the Storm has to go back to the store.  There's gotta be an end to this road somewhere.  Anywhere, many, many thanks for your responses and advice.  I appreciate it!
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

It appears to have all gone quiet in this forum??

I simply cannot believe that there has been no software fix made available by RIM.

Has anyone actually worked out an easy solution to the problem??

I had the same problem trying to Synchronize my Blackberry bold with the desktop manager 4.2.2.  it could not find my device.  However, a Windows message came up that it found new hardware, and it asked for my permission to search the internet to locate the software to install the blackberry hardware.  I hit "yes" and a few minutes later it must have found it and installed the drivers because the Desktop manager found my device.  I hope this helps.

Contributor

No, I am talking about the error message: "the computer must be connected to the internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings . . ."

Does anyone from RIM actually read these forums??? What I find even funnier is that in order to contact RIM technical support directly, they are going to charge me about USD$50 - in order to get their software working properly for a problem that is being experienced by many, many people.

I am on B.I.S. and so I rely on DM to sync my contacts and calendar. I am so p*ssed off with RIM that no solution is forthcoming and I have to pay to even ask them how to fix it.

Lift your game RIM and someone from your bloody company deal with the issue and let us know how to fix it.

Highlighted

Ok, here is some more informational background.. I'm currently running about 500 Blackberry's across our company, BES 4.1 backend, and a variety of DM 4.2-5 on various machines.

I have 2 that come up with the 'can't sync due to net connection', all DM's are connected through the same infrastructure, running XP sp2-3 Office 2003.

Seems to be that if I upgrade or install new DM 4.7 I have started this problem off. Now I get to figure out how to fix this..

Thankfully we will have a alternative permenant solution in the new year, wireless sync for everything, currently DM is only used for the contacts, which makes it all the more painful.

I find it funny that this problem has been going on for over 1.5 years and no one has a good solution to it..

Just thought I'd add my info..