Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: BlackBerry 8310 Curve

RNS 510 Connection

I have an RNS 510 navigation system with the Premium Bluetooth carkit installed in my Volkswagen Golf V. When connecting the RNS510 to my BlackBerry 8310 Curve (that's how it's done) the BB waits for a passkey wich should be provided by the RNS510. However, the RNS510 waits and doesn't give me the 16 digit number. Eventually the RNS tells me that the phone isn't compatible with the RNS510. Does anybody know how to get it to work? I've read that the RNS needs to be able to connect to the BB using RSAP over Bluetooth? Is there an application or an update for the BB available? The RNS works fine with a Nokia device, but we want the world to use only BlackBerry devices right? :-)
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: RNS 510 Connection

I have got the same problem with a brand new Golf V.

After some "investigation" I can tell you the following:

In short:

Buy a headset.

Longer version:

The RNS 510 system has got Bluetooth Premium built-in which actually is a Nokia rSAP based carkit system.

In order for you to use your phone with the carkit you need a phone which is compatible with the rSAP protocol.

I have both a Blackberry 8820 and a HTC S710 and neither one of them can be used in my car.

It's a pitty because the RNS 510 has quite nice software for mobile phone control.

(It can even retrieve the entire phonebook)

I would even be glad if I could use it as a headset replacement; but pairing is done by the

Bluetooth Premium system as initiator instead of the phone.

(Seeking devices from your phone won't give you a "Car Bluetooth" device or so)

What can we do:

1. We could keep our hopes up and wait for an update. (Of which I assume will NEVER come)
  2. Another solution would be a hardware device which can pair with our mobile and then connect to the RNS 510 system "faking" a Nokia phone with rSAP support. (Haven't found it yet; probably won't find it in the legal market because of Nokia patents and stuff unless Nokia offcourse creates something like that)
  3. We could wait for a hacker with some mobile Java knowledge and the ambition to create an rSAP supporting protocol in a Java environment
  4. We could install another carkit or buy a headset
Contributor

I tried to connect my Bold to my Passat tonight and it appears to connect fine (without the need for a PIN number either), BUT, it goes no further.

It tries to connect and initialise, but goes no further. It terminates the connection then re-establishes it.

Frustrating as I was hoping to only have one device ... but might have to resurrect the old 6310i to act as my car phone, and divert my BB to it.

Any thoughts / advise? 

New Contributor

Currently the BOLD is the ONLY Blackberry I know of that supports the rSAP protocol.

According to the standard it should be supported by the RNS 510.

A few things you could do:

- Seek the config of the BB for something that looks like enabling the Remote Sim Access Protocol

this feature actually moves the telephone functions to the car telephone. (Yes there actually is a mobile phone in your RNS 510)

- Set a SIM PIN (perhaps you're blocked because of some security issues) if you haven't allready.

Unfortunately the standard is a Nokia standard and because the BOLD is for the rSAP

part probably still a bit in development you've got issues now.

Perhaps waiting for an upgrade of the BB BOLD will eventually help you out.

I''ve currently 'traded' my HTC for a Nokia (also the 6310i) which definately works like a charm...

I hope there will be an update for you soon and wish you luck bonding the devices.

Please put down a post when you are able to bind them successfully for it might help out other BB / VW users.

Contributor

thanks, I will have a look, but not come across it thus far ....
Contributor

err ... I tried to connect up my 6310i but it wouldn't be recognised. I can't see the rSAP protocol on the device ... how did you do yours? 

New Contributor

For me it worked without any problems.

These are my phone settings for bluetooth:

Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Bluetooth

Bluetooth On

(Sub) - My phone's visibility Shown to all

- My phone's name Mobile

Menu -> Settings -> Phone settings

Confirm SIM service actions No

Menu -> Settings -> Security settings

Security level None

Pin code request Off (This is so the pincode isn't asked for by the RNS510)

NOTE:

Mind you that disabling the pin code request is some kind of 'security issue' 

Should your phone get stolen the thief will be able to call with it.

Below is the output of my version check

(type *#0000#)

Nokia 6230i

V 03.23

15-03-05

RM-72

GSM P1.1

(c)NMP.

In the RNS 510 you are able to select your contacts from your SIM / Phone Memory or both.

Hope this helps.

Contributor

yours is a 6230i? That is probably why, your original post said 6310i ... there was me getting my hopes up. The only thing I could try is to get the cradle for the car, then use that, provided it works by a direct connection, rather than using bluetooth.

It would also allow me to connect my TomTom up ... I think I might "have" to call VW and ask them .... 

New Contributor

Ah sorry; my bad...

Good luck with contacting VW about this.

Contributor

well, I do also happen to have a 6230i on my desk, which now unlocked has a spare orange sim in it.

I will go down tonight and have a gander. I might just buy the cradle anyhow for the 6310i and use that, as apparently that doesn't use bluetooth, rather a wired connection which would be so much better!