Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9780
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

ROAMING WIFI PROBLEM? Please help :(

So my service provider is Rogers, and I'm from Canada. I'm going to the US for the weekend and I wanted to try and use my Wi-Fi. My mobile network is OFF, but my Wi-Fi is connected to my cousins network. With the Wi-Fi, I am able to use BBM and my twitter app. My plan comes with free Wi-Fi by the way.

Do I get charged for data? Or.. what? Someone please help! I really don't want to get charged for this.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: ROAMING WIFI PROBLEM? Please help :(

No.  WiFi works off of internet data allowances, not cellular data allowances.  The fact that you're using your cousin's internet data just sweetens the deal.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

My data services are set to on, but while roaming, it's off. Does that matter? Cause whenever I turn my data services to off, I am unable to use BBM.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

I actually don't have an answer to that one (*slightly embarrassed*).

Someone will come along with one, I'm sure.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Oh alright. That's completely fine. I'm sure I won't get charged considering the fact that my mobile network is off, and my phone isn't with my service provider when my Wi-Fi is on. Thanks for your reply! It really helped. Smiley Happy
Super Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700 v6.0.0.576
My Carrier: Orange UK

I suppose Rogers Canada supports UMA, which means when mobile network turned off and connected wifi, you might be able to call and text in your included plan while roaming without charges. It is very good as you can talk without being worried about charges and your network knowing that you are in another country.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Install this on your phone, it helps: http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/protect/

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.
Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!