Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 8120
My Carrier: Team Mobile

Random restarts on Blackberry Pearl 8120

[ Edited ]

Yes, I have a Blackberry Pearl 8120 that I got used for fifty dollars after my old Blackberry Pearl 8100 died. Anyway, to make a long story short it randomly resets itself. The screen goes black, and the LED in the right-hand corner goes red...and then it turns on a few seconds later with a white screen and an hourglass in the center. After a minute or two, it reboots the homescreen and operating system as if nothing happened.

This happens at random intervals, and I do not know what is causing it. Sometimes it will happen several times in a row and other times it will not happen for several hours. It can happen at any time whether you are in the middle of a phone call or if you simply have it on a table and you are not even touching it.

I have done the following steps to determine the problem:

1. I have removed the media card to determine if that was the problem - No change

2. I have removed the SIM card to determine if that was the problem - No change

3. I have reinstalled the operating system - No change

4. I have tried clearing the message log - No change

5. I have made sure that the battery was not loose - No change

6. I have switched batteries - No change

7. I have tried wiping the memory - No change

The only apps I have on it are the original ones that it came with. I do not know what else it could be as I have done all that my carrier suggested. I would rather not have to get a new phone as I like this phone and I do not need all of the extra stuff on it that newer models have. If anybody can help me with this issue, let me know.

Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Re: Random restarts on Blackberry Pearl 8120

Hello Neurovore

Welcome to the forums. 

From the sounds of it you have done everything there is to do. One question, when you did the software reload did you restore a backup file? If the answer is yes the I would suggest doing the software reload again and this time do not restore the backup file and test to see if you have the same issue. If after doing the software reload you still have the same issue then I suspect that it is a hardware issue and you will need to contact your service provider to see if they have a repair center than can look at the device for you. 

Hope this helps. Have a good day.

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 8120
My Carrier: Team Mobile

Re: Random restarts on Blackberry Pearl 8120

I just reinstalled the software without reinstalling the backup as you suggested, and I still get the random restarts. Oddly enough when I did not reinstall the backup, I got the message on the phone about the "setup wizard" again after it restarted like the first time the phone rebooted after reinstalling the OS even though I said "don't ask" for the option choice. When it restarts, my phone seems to have no recollection of its recent activities, including if it does this during a phone call as the call log will not have the call that it restarted in the middle of listed.

If this is a hardware problem as you suggest, what is the component that might be the issue? Is there some sort of way that I can diagnose the hardware problem myself so that I know what the issue might be if I take it in to have it fixed? The intermittent nature of the restarts makes it very difficult to find out what the problem is, as I keep running into a "watched pot never boils" situation.