Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Rapid battery discharge

My 9800 has been experiencing almost immediate battery discharge once it reaches about 50% battery life.  The temperature reaches 41 deg C and is noticibly hot.  I pull the battery to stop it but with not luck.  I have read the threads and cannot come up with a solution.  I am trying a new battery next.  I have the 6.0 bundle 2647 and keep the WIFI off.  I contacted RIM about it and they told me to get a new phone?!?  I have had this phone for a year now.  Has anyone else had this issue and how did you solve it?

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Rapid battery discharge

How did you contact RIM?

Follow the advice in these links to properly close applications not in use, and you might also try the process of restting the battery to the on-device battery meter, as described in the first link.

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks for the fast reply.  I have done most of the items on your recommendations.  I have not been regularly keeping in the holster for the past several weeks, so I will try that.  I did remove most of the applications but kept Battery Watch. There does seem to be a lot of chatter of the boards about hot phones and rapid battery drains without a conclusive fix.  I contacted ATT (my carrier) because it would get so warm it was noticeable in my pocket.  They contact RIM Tech support when they couldn't fix the issue and that's when the agent suggested a new phone.

Best regards,

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Is the 9800 still within the one year warranty?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

No, I have been using it over a year.  That's why I ordered a new battery and will attempt to solve it before I get a new phone.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

Here is what's nuts.  This phone is sitting on my desk and at 50% power, it gets hot.  The battery meter says 44 deg C and it will not charge.  I pull battery and it continues.  I check the applications running and only the Options at 4% and the Blackberry 6.0.0 system at 1% are running.  I have a new battery on its way and will try that as a last gasp.  I know others are having this issue after the last OS update. Has anyone had luck downgrading to the earlier version?

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you can revert to an older one, but i find usually the newer ones are better

what OS are you on now?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor

v6.0.0.600  Bundle 2647

Guru III
My Device: