Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

My Device: Not Specified

Rebooting Problem

Hi everyone, I have been having an issue with my BlackBerry 8800 for the past five months and I am going to try my luck here. I will do my best to keep this as concise as possible; please don't hesitate to ask me for clarification.

In March of this year, I purchased a brand new sealed in box T-Mobile branded 8800 from eBay. The phone is wonderful but it has one problem - every five to seven hours, it will act as though I have done a hard reset on it and reboot itself without warning. I can be happily typing away on the phone and suddenly the screen will go black and the LED will turn red. Once rebooted, it tells me "Media Card Removed/Inserted" (it varies) and always also says "No Service" with an X by the signal indicator. The only way that the problem can be "fixed" and give my phone signal again is if I actually do pull the battery out and let it reboot.

When I first purchased the phone and it began to have this problem, there was no media card in the phone. It now has a 4GB Sandisk card, and still has the same problem. The battery door fits snugly on the phone, the media card is securely latched in (that was the first thing I checked) and the SIM card is not loose either.

I posted this problem on another forum and received suggestions that I reinstall the OS and also get a new battery. I have done both to no avail - the problem still continues, and it is actually getting worse to the point where my phone reboots itself every three to five hours now and I have to do between four and five battery pulls a day. I can sometimes predict when the phone is due for a messup, but it is embarrassing to have it hang up on someone in the middle of a phone call because it decides to reboot (as has happened quite a few times). It's also inconvenient to miss calls, emails, and texts because I have not noticed that it has restarted itself to "no service" land until who knows how long afterwards.

I really do adore this phone, but the fact that this problem is becoming worse is very frustrating. Because I did not buy the phone directly from them, T-Mobile will not help me replace it, aside from my buying a different device. I do not have the original receipts for the phone as I was not the original owner, so I have no way of knowing when this phone was purchased and whether it is even still in its one year warranty period. I have not kept in touch with the seller. My question is - is there something that can be done to fix my device, or will I simply have to throw in the towel and replace it?

Thanks in advance for any help.