Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Receiving email on a Storm

I'm a relative newbie with smartphones and had an email question.  Can I receive email from my regular comcast email account on the Storm?  When I activate the Storm with Verizon, will I need an email account from BB or Verizon for outgoing mail?  Will I be able to pick up mail sent to the Storm on my desktop?  IE: I send an email from the Storm then get back to the office.  Can I set up an account in Outlook Express to pickup a response to the email I just sent on the Storm.

Ideally I would be able to send an email from the office using my comcast account, then check that account throughout the day from the Storm, receive a response from that email and respond to it from the Storm.  Now I get back to the office and instead of receiving the response the that email sent on the Storm on the Storm, I want to just pick it up on my PC using Outlook Express.

It's hard to desribe but I guess what I'm asking is if the Storm can be used as an extension to the PC or does everything that happens on the storm stay on the Storm?

Please feel free to suggest a better alternative.  Like I said, I have no experience with smartphones, so my purchase decision is based on reviews.  I wish the data plan were not mandatory, but I suppose that's why I'm looking at this phone in the first place.  If I go through a spell where I'm not needing mobile web for a period of time, I suppose I can always just go back to my old phone during that time.

Thanks in advance for any help...

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Receiving email on a Storm

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

1. The BlackBerry will receive and send email to and from your Comcast account using the persona BIS plan from your carrier.

2. You don't need an additional email address for the Storm only... don't think of this device as a separate email device from your computer, rather as an extension of what you already have in place.

You won't get your "sent from Storm" emails in your Outlook. You can set emails to auto Blind copy yourself and configure it so that does happen, and I could walk you through those settings should you wish.

3. Yes you can use Outlook Express to receive your comcast email also. Make sure you set the Outlook settings to "Leave Messages On Server" so that when you open Outlook and it retrieves your email, it will not delete the messages from the email server (so that you will still receive them on your BlackBerry, also).

You won't have COMPLETE and thorough email reconciliation of sent and received messages using a personal BIS account, you will need a BES plan, which is a bit more costly and complicated, but will do ALL that you need.

The BlackBerry Data Plan is mandatory, because without it you will only have a very nice expensive PDA in your hand, for phone calls and calendar, etc. Like a Mercedes with no gas, it won't do all that you need.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code