Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry Curve 8530i
My Carrier: Boost Mobile

Receiving old/deleted Facebook messages

I have a Blackberry Curve 8530i (V5.0.0.654 / Platform 4.2.0.298) on Boostmobile.

After installing the latest Facebook Mobile app I started receiving copies of FB messages that were well over a year old and were deleted from my FB Message center long ago. I don't know if this is a problem with the app or because Facebook seems to have archived all of my deleted messages and is making them available to the mobile app. Even though my Facebook Messages Folder is empty, I'm still receiving messages that should no longer be on the system. Besides the annoyance, I also have a security concern because of this. How is it that messages that I deleted from FB a year ago are being accessed by the app when they're not even available to me in my FB account? As a result I've deleted the FB Mobile App and don't want to reinstall it until this issue can be fixed.

I notified Facebook Support of this issue and am posting it here as well. From reading posts on other sites, I know that this issue seems to affecting a lot of Blackberry users and no one seems to have a solution.

Thanks.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: TELUS

Re: Receiving old/deleted Facebook messages

Same problem as you. Today I got about 20 old FaceBook messages from 2008 to 2010. These messages are not archived, not in "sent", not in unread folders on Facebook (actual website). When I open the Messages on the FB app, I see tons of those old messages and I can't delete them. Now they appeared on my BB inbox and they can't be deleted either. Before you ask, yes I did a battery pull.
What's going on here? I don't have that problem with my iPod Touch. That's not the first time this happens to me and after a couple of days I can delete them but I have a serious privacy issue with that practice. Where are those emails stored and how can I permanently delete them?
Today I asked my compagny to take back that BB Torch phone (that I got for free I might add) and give me something else that's better.
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry Curve 8530i
My Carrier: Boost Mobile

Re: Receiving old/deleted Facebook messages

An FYI to everyone....

I downloaded my Facebook history and saw that FB still had every message that I ever sent or received stored in their database going all the way back to when I first registered. You can delete your messages, but Facebook still archives them. I know of no way to have our FB messages permanently deleted. This is the single thing about Facebook that bothers me most. I don't like them keeping copies of my deleted messages! It's like having Google or Yahoo Mail keep copies of every email you ever sent or received, whether you deleted them or not.

Anyway, the reason our BB's get these old messages is because they're still stored on FB's system. Maybe the developers of the BB Facebook app can add something where messages before a certain date can be filtered or ignored. Until I'm able to filter older FB messages from reaching my BB I'll refrain from installing the app again.

Better yet, Facebook should allow their users to permanently delete their messages and not store copies of every message in their database.