Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Z10/Bold9900
My Carrier: Bell

Recovering contacts after security swipe, device has been synced to a computer.

Hello There! I just purchased a z10. While in the process of transfering my contacts to my new phone from my old phone (Bold 9900) I typed in the wrong password on my computer, thinking it was the password for the new phone. I have synced the bold to my computer many times, yet I have not used the desktop manager. Is there some way I can retreive my contacts? I am in extreme need of a handful of contacts for my business. Please refer from telling me I should have backed up my bold or making any comments as to what I should do in the future, I am aware of this... Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mark

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Recovering contacts after security swipe, device has been synced to a computer.

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Marekstanislaw wrote:

While in the process of transfering my contacts to my new phone from my old phone (Bold 9900) I typed in the wrong password on my computer, thinking it was the password for the new phone.

So, you were not clear...did you do this the maximum (often 10) number of times, resulting in a Device WIPE? If so, then there is no data left on your BB to retrieve, for failing the password via the Desktop Software is the same as doing so on the device itself...it wipes the device clean of all personal information.

Marekstanislaw wrote:

I have synced the bold to my computer many times, yet I have not used the desktop manager.

I don't understand...

Marekstanislaw wrote:

Is there some way I can retreive my contacts?

Only if there is a non-device source of your data. That "sync" you mention above...whatever that was done to, does it contain your data?

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Re: Recovering contacts after security swipe, device has been synced to a computer.

That's the odd part. I had only entered the password 3 times incorrectly, yet it still did the swipe. Is it possible I had it set for a maximum of 3 password entries?

The sync I had mentioned is when I plug my phone in to my computer for charging purposes or to upload music lets say for example. The device asks me if I would like to charge, use as usb or sync. I click on sync and enter my password. 

New Contributor

I'm not sure where the sync has been done to. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)

Marekstanislaw wrote:

That's the odd part. I had only entered the password 3 times incorrectly, yet it still did the swipe. Is it possible I had it set for a maximum of 3 password entries?

Yes...both the password itself as well as the maximum failure setting are both user controlled.

Marekstanislaw wrote:

The sync I had mentioned is when I plug my phone in to my computer for charging purposes or to upload music lets say for example. The device asks me if I would like to charge, use as usb or sync. I click on sync and enter my password. 

I have no idea what you configured for that sync...but unless it was the Desktop Software, configured to sync with a compatible PIM (e.g., Outlook), then it is unlikely that it did anything at all with your Contacts or other data. Is it possible that was the old-style music sync? If so, then that's all it did.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

Marekstanislaw wrote:

I'm not sure where the sync has been done to. 

Nor am I...and I have far less that I can "see" than you can...

New Contributor

I'm sure you are right. It must have been the old style music sync. Well, thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess it's time for a new client list now.

Hall of Famer III

Good luck!