Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: Tmobile

Re: Red X Shown On Battery

your blackberry came with a small black battery bridge. Place the original battery into the right side and the aftermarket battery into the left side--- when the led turns off-- the new battery is ready to be used.

Works 100%
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: DIgicel

how do i do this on a macbook pro? 

Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Run windows on your mac or find a pc. 

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

I'm now on my 3rd Blackberry 9900 in less than two months (it's a work phone, I would never have been so foolish to buy a Blackberry for myself).

Considering the 9900 is supposedly the flagship handset from RIM, for two handsets to fail almost straight out of the box is unforgiveable. What's worse than this however is the complete lack of a permanent fix from RIM for a fault which is so prevalent on its phones. Disgraceful. And the technical "support" is spurious to say the least.

I feel really sorry for the people who are employed by RIM as if they're trying to sell phones which have inherent problems then they will cease to trade therefore making a lot of people unemployed.

EDIT: I've found a fix for this. Ditch the Blackberry and get an Android or Apple device. They actually work!

Dannymc5 wrote:

I feel really sorry for the people who are employed by RIM as if they're trying to sell phones which have inherent problems then they will cease to trade therefore making a lot of people unemployed.

And, I feel sorry for people like you who come here to insult and denigrate others.

This is a Community support forum. If you can't get with the purpose of the forum, why are you here?

Your insults are certainly not welcome, helpful, and not support-related.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I came on here looking for a solution to my 9900's problem and have still not found an answer.

I've also contacted BIackberry support both by phone and email with no success at all.

That's why I'm on here.

I can't honestly see where I've insulted or denigrated anyone in my post, just stating facts.

The so-called top-end devices coming out of RIM at the moment aren't fit for their purpose imo and add to that their support is lame to say the least. If they continue in the same vein I can't see them continuing to trade for much longer. That's certainly not denigrating or insulting, just basic business.

And yes, I'm still looking for a solution to the Red X shown on battery as I've tried everything in here and elsewhere I've looked and it's still not working.

Pitiful. You've spend 90% of your post whining, 10% saying you've tried everything, (of which we have no idea what your "everything" involves).

Nevertheless... you do have support, that you pay for from your mobile provider. Call them. AND any issue which they cannot resolve should be (or you ask) escalated to RIM level tier 2 support.

WE are users just like you. We're here to help and offer suggestions, but we really don't have to listen to your whining. Would THAT endear YOU to help someone?

I've dealt with the issue you're having before, and resolved some, not others. So you have your choices, call your provider for tech support, or please chill out here. Fair?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Okay, I'll take a step back.

My third 9900 has just failed. I'd made a call and put the phone on my desk, left it for 10 minutes and when I tried to use it again it was completely unresponsive/dead. Connected it to my pc and received the battery with red x.

That's three handsets in under 2 months now so I'm sure you can understand my frustration. Since it's a work phone I only use it for calls, emails and texts and only the stock applications are on the phone so it's not like I've been playing around with it.

Getting back to your post, when I say I've tried everything in this thread, I mean everything short of completely reflashing the thing and rebuilding from scratch.

Yes, I can call my service provider, which I will be doing later and the fact that it's a work phone means it's not going to cost me anything to be replaced (although hopefully I won't be replacing like for like). However it does cause me a major inconvenience as apart from not being able to be contacted, I have to wait in the following day for the new device to be delivered which is a pain.

This "battery" error seems to be very prevalent across several models so I was wondering whether you could tell me exactly what this error means or is it just an umbrella for several other problems?

If it is the former then surely there should be a relatively simple solution to address it?

If it's the latter then how do I drill down to determine what the cause is?

I'm not used to not being able to fix problems with devices, in fact this is the first device I've had to ask for help with, I can normally sort problems out myself. Now the fact that I may be able to replace it with another fruit-based phone doesn't deter the fact that I'm no closer to understanding this problem than I was when it first occurred.

So if you could point me in the direction of an answer/solution I will be more than grateful.

The red X on the screen normally means the device operating system can't detect a battery installed on the device... or that the battery is so deeply drained (or the on-board battery) that it can't recognize the battery source. Again, normally, following my instructions above to charge for SEVERAL hours and leaving it connected to the charger, remove the battery, replace to reboot, will sometimes revive the BlackBerry.

No, it shouldn't be happening, however not knowing all of the circumstances of what apps you are running, OS release, etc., it's difficult to tell over the forum exactly why or what's causing it.

If you get another brand device... so be it.

If you choose to stick with the BlackBerry yet again, get one from a completely different store or manufacturing batch than the one you've got now.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: Blackberry Curve 9300
My Carrier: Orange

I have had a blackberry for about four years now,

I bought one from Argos the 8520 which ended up being a disaster I lvoed the phone but after a few months the a button began to develop a mind of its own and would start typing away on its own so I replaced it several times and the problem persistes.. Despite this I decided to upgrade to the 9300 last year.. It's been a dream no problems at all not like the old phone, I have dropped it several times and the battery has fallen out etc and no problems its been indestructable.. until yesterday i dropped it and the back came off and battery fell out as normal.. but this time a couple of tiny drops of water fell onto the phone I thought it was so minimal it wouldnt matter.. also im not sure if its related to the problem? but thought i'd mention this happened! I reassembled the phone as always everything was fine.. then out of the blue it turned off mid text and rebooted itself then once reloaded kept doing this tuning off mid text! I panic because my blackberry is everything so I was frantically trying to reboot it took the battery out etc.. plugged it into charge and was fine again ! So took it off charge and the same thing happened kept rebooting out of the blue..

1. Phone kept Randomly Rebooting mid text etc..

2. Phone came up with a black screen showing a large white battery symbol witha  red X through it and a loading bar

3. The loading bar loaded 3/4 of the way and got stuck

4. Blackberry rebooting would come on now and then and then once loaded turn off again and battery

5.REPEATED several times

I was looing the will to live this morning reading these forums but was adamant none of it would work, wedged a bit of paper in the top of the battery and it rebooted again but worked instantly and touch wood no problems since!!TRY IT! serious, I wasnt going to but it did work its worth a try! especially if your phone is as precsious to you as mine is to me haha!