Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Redirector

Does Redirector work for just Email routing to the BlackBerry ?  or does it also syncronize calendar items and contacts ?

thx,

Dave

New Contributor

Re: Redirector

Can't answer your question...but I think mine is along the same line.  I am trying to sync my Blackberry calendar with my business outlook instead of my Verizon account.  Although I do have my business email account active on the Blackberry, the business option is not available in the desktop software to configure the calendar to.  What's the deal?  Thanks.

Joe

Contributor

If you're using a BES then those settings will override the desktop. However if you are just using redirector you should see an option for the calendar called "Blackberry Wireless Sync", this should work on redirector. Everything else is done through a BES.
~John
New Contributor

i have an 8830.  although i am having a little trouble with my address book, everything else works on my redirect if you have not excluded something.  i have to use one redirect on my enterprise server and another for my home computer.
New Contributor

Sorry I'm not up on the applications or terminology.  What exactly is Redirector, and what is BES?  Thanks.
Contributor

Redirectory is a service that runs from your computer to send and receive emails and some other features wirelessly. BES is a Blackberry Enterprise Server which is usually found in a corporate environment given the cost and maintenance required. Hope that helps.
~John
New Contributor

Desktop Redirector is an optional part of the Desktop Manager.

Desktop Redirector does NOT do Wireless Calendar Sync.

It does do wired Email Reconciliation. Also wired sync of all PIM items (Address Book, Calendar, Memos, and tasks).

Regular Contributor

BlackBerry Desktop Redirector is designed to forward email from your personal Outlook account to your BlackBerry. This is considered obsolete at this point, and in almost every case you would be better served using the BlackBerry Internet Service.

Disadvantages of using Redirector include:

- You have to have an active connection via Outlook to Exchange

- Your computer must remain on at all times (reboot/off will prevent email forwarding)

- Email forwarding only. Bidirectional synchronization is not supported (deletes/read status)

- Email Attachments are not supported.

- requires a corporate data plan (more expensive)

BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) was designed to replace the need for redirector as a consumer level Push Email delivery service. It has none of the above disadvantages. It's main disadvantage is email received in your personal inbox may not appear on your BlackBerry for a maximum of 15 minutes, however this update window is a maximum timeframe, and is usually much less (seconds to few minutes)

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) is a corporate deployment that allows the management of dozens to thousands of BlackBerry devices within a company. It is the only solution that provides full wireless synchronization of Email and PIM data (Address Book, Calendar, Memopad, Tasks) This is generally not a financially feasible solution for a single user.

Visitor

Can you tell me where I would find Blackberry Internet Service.

Thanks!

Contributor

the blackberry internet service is just a service to subscribe to please ask your wireless provider for this service