05-31-2012 03:17 PM
I have a Pearl 8220 device, which always worked great until the day I got a message suggesting me to update the BB Desktop Software. I did so, and since then I have going through a nightmare.
Right after the update I could not sync my device with outlook. It would make a real mess, and replicate entries on both sides. In other words, the newer version didn’t sync.
I tried to install the previous version, but then when I tried to backup the device the connection was lost, and the device froze. Then I tried different versions of BBDesktopSoftware, and for all of them the connection issue happened over and over. Every time the device froze I got an error message JVM 529. Up to this point I was able to place and receive calls, and to send and receive messages. But since I could not sync with my outlook, I kept reading articles that explained the possible reasons for the problems I was facing.
Then I decided to update the device software, and that apparently ended the story. In the middle of the software installation the connection was lost again, the device froze, and now my blackberry does not have software. Result of it is I can't use the device at all, it doesn't turn on, doesn't respond, I am not able to install any version of the device software, nothing. When I try to install the software it goes to a point when the connection gets lost again. Then I unplug it and wait and reconnect it, and it goes a little further, and then the connection gets lost again. I saw a similar situation (but no solution) here: http://www.blackberryforums.com.au/forums/blackber
Any help is greatly appreciated.
06-01-2012 09:20 AM
Just want to add another description for the problem:
There was no suggestions though, only more users dealing with the same problem...
06-01-2012 11:09 AM - last edited on 11-26-2014 07:59 AM by TyW
For the two error codes you listed, here are the official KBs:
As for your data mess (duplicates, etc.), I suggest the following steps (insert plenty of reboots of your PC...not just restarts, but full power down reboots). Also, it is advised that you be logged into the PC on an account with full admin rights. Further, under Vista/Win7, use the "Run As Administrator" option for everything.
Further, it has also been reported that when your user profile on windows (type 'echo %userprofile%' in the command prompt) contains spaces, then the installer will not work. In order to solve this issue, log out of your Windows account and log back in using the local Administrator account (or any other account name without spaces) and install the desktop (for all users).
1) Remove your device OS update package(s) from your PC (add/remove programs)
2) Cleanly uninstall the RIM Desktop Software:
3) Get a fresh download of the RIM Desktop Software:
4) Download (to your PC) a fresh copy of your device OS package from your carrier:
5) Clean up your data, preferably in your Desktop Organizer app (e.g., Outlook)...this will be totally manual...I wish there were a bettery way. Just in case, you might also want to copy your clean data over to a PST (assuming you are using Outlook) so that you can more easily restore should something go wrong again.
6) Install the Desktop Software to your PC
7) Install (also to your PC), the device OS package
8) Start the organizer configuration over:
Hopefully that will get things going again.
Good luck and let us know!
06-01-2012 12:09 PM
Thanks for your response. I'm afraid I emphasize too much the origin of my problems, and that was a little misleading for the good souls that want to help.
Clearly stating, my problem (the main one) is:
1. I tried to update the device OS.
2. Existing software was erased from the device in order to update, but during installation for some reason the device got disconnected. Therefore my device has no software whatsoever (hence the "Reload Software: 507" message).
3. If I try to update the device software during the process (exactly during the "loading applications" phase) the device gets disconnected everytime I try.
4. I have tried on six machines (WinXP and Win7), but always get the same message ("Application loader could not connect to your device. Please ensure that your device is connected securely to your computer and click Retry"). I retry and it happens again!
5. I really think this other post explains very well.
5. It's way before the sync process can be started, I only mentioned that to give more info on how the problem began. Once I get my device back up and running, I may still have the sync issue, but that's a minor one compared to not having a phone at all (which is the case now, with no software in it).
06-01-2012 12:19 PM - edited 06-01-2012 12:20 PM
OK...you must have installed to your PC the RIM Desktop Software as well as your BB OS package. So, please still conduct steps 1-4 then 6 and then 7 from above...that will make sure that things are clean on your PC.
Then, download and install BBSAK (bbsak.org)...with your BB showing 507, run BBSAK and connect to your PC...BBSAK should either find Unknown or your specific PIN...in either case, continue to the loading process of your BB OS with BBSAK. Note that, with BBSAK, you can also perform a WIPE...the result of which is a 507, which is actually a desired state in the middle of the process.
You can also try this technique:
It can be tricky to find just the correct moment to connect your BB to your PC and get these tools to then recognize it...I've had situations where it took 20 or more attempts to get it just right, but with a 507, you definitely should be able to reload your OS with one of these tools.
06-01-2012 03:22 PM
I took the suggested steps, with no luck. Through BBSAK I checked the minimum apps, only the OS, and got disconnected a few times, and finally the software crashed (runtime error, abnormal program termination)
Similar stuff happened when I tried to do through the cmd prompt. Then I tried a different way, to install a few applications to see if the lack of applications could be the cause. But again got disconnected.
News here is that I’m always getting disconnected at the same point (loading module "net_rim_cldc.cod"), differently to when I try to update the software through the BB Desktop Software.
Any other ideas?
06-01-2012 04:04 PM
06-01-2012 04:05 PM
BTW, is there a way to post jpg's? I got a handful of screen captures of the error messages...
Yup...when you are in the full compose window (not the quick reply), use this button.