Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Remote Desktop Access denied

I have a new BB Storm.  I installed all the necessary software and subscribed (through VerizonWireless) to use my Storm as a tethered modem.  Works great, it's faster than my local internet service.  I have accessed multiple websites and am currently tethered.  I can log on to my employer's secure VPN bringing up the company web page.  I try to connect to my remote desktop but I am denied access with only a contact the administrator message.  The VPN works fine if I use my WiFi system.  The work IT guy says it is a latency issue, the phone as a modem takes too long to reply to the packets and I need to get an air card.

The question is, is he right?  The sales people say the tethered modem and the air card work the same.  Does anyone know how to fix the problem.

Thanks,

R. Dyck

Super Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Mobilicity

Re: Remote Desktop Access denied

What port does your home network use to acess your PC remotely? Do you have the ability to switch that port to a traditional 80, 443 port?
New Contributor

I checked the access server log.  It looks like it uses port 3389 then the IP address changes slightly and it uses ports 80 and 443.  I tired accessing the remote desktop designating all three ports and each time got the can't locate remote desktop message.

I tried looking for a way to designate the port.  I found the proxy server, but that didn't work either.  I have administrator privileges on my laptop, but I don't have the knowledge to designate the ports.

Thanks for your help.

New Contributor

I found the solution.  I used the whole computer name that is located under system information.  IT couldn't explain why, but it works.  On WiFi I only had to put in the last six characters, but with the Storm I have to enter the full address.  Not having any other problems and I'm happy with my Storm.