Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

Remove icon on home screen?

I have somehow managed to get an icon on my home screen. I'm trying to remove it. Selecting the icon, then pushing the "Blackberry" menu button (just to left of trackpad) - does not give me a "delete" option. I have also tried going to Options/Device/Application Management...but no mention of the icon in question comes up. I've managed to get myself is entitled "Pocket Express".

Does anyone know how I might get rid of this icon? Anyone else had one of these appear?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Remove icon on home screen?

Is this an application you "managed" to install on the device?

Where did it come from?

If it is not listed in the applications management screen, just scroll to the icon > press the Menu key > Hide.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

I don't recall installing anything by this name! That's what's got me a little concerned. When I clicked on the icon, it got me to an "Accept" or "Do Not Accept" type of decision. Of course, I've opted for the latter. I've tried the "Hide" option, but all that does is nearly make the icon transparent. It doesn't remove the icon altogether. If I'm right, it also doesn't remove whatever else might be on my handset, related to this icon. Perhaps I'm worrying unnecessarily. I'd prefer to remove it, if at all possible. Any other thoughts?

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

That and others are carrier pushed application install icons... nothing more and not a big dea.

After you click "hide" and the icon becomes transparent, Then click Menu > SHOW ALL so that SHOW ALL is not checked. The icon will be hidden.

You really can't delete those "pushed" application installation shortcuts, not very easy. This is simpler:

Do this: create a folder on your homescreen and name it "Junk" (you might choose to be even more creative the folder name Smiley Happy ). Now, Scroll to each unwanted icon and press the Menu key > Move to Folder and move it to the "Junk" folder. Do that for each you don't want.

Now scroll to that "Junk" folder and select Menu > Hide.

Out of site, out of mind. Meanwhile, feel free to complain to your service provider or on their own user forums. It's not something BlackBerry put on your device.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

you will notice that the service books (pushed by carrier) will show VPL in the name as well for them.

Only way to block them is with an IT policy from a Corporate BES server.

Send this to your BESAdmin if on BES.

Block wireless service provider Virtual Preload (VPL) icons from the BlackBerry smartphone

If not on BES, do as JSanders posted above.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Hello JSaunders and Knottyrope! Thank you for your help here. I've managed to use the "Hide" then uncheck of "Show All". That has removed is the icon from even 'transparent'  visibility. I may still complain to the service provider, and send them a link to the article you gave me. It will be interesting to see what there response is; if any...

Highlighted
Contributor

A couple more quick questions on this:

By virtue of the icon appearing - has anything been left behind on my device?

If so - is this going to be (or could it potentially be) a problem?