Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Remove or Disable BlackBerry Automatic Update Feature Desktop Manager ver: 4.7.0.32

Is there a way to disable or remove the Automatic Updates feature for:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager

Version: 4.7.0.32 (Nov 4, 2008)

Because 99% of our users does not have administrator rights to their machines, this feature would not work properly under regular users.  Also, this feature is not permitted in our environment.  Please let me know if there is a switch you can put in the setup.ini file to disable this feature.

Thanks in advance,

David

Solutions: 6,395
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Remove or Disable BlackBerry Automatic Update Feature Desktop Manager ver: 4.7.0.32

yes, read the details in this thread

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Re: Remove or Disable BlackBerry Automatic Update Feature Desktop Manager ver: 4.7.0.32

I guess, I should have used an MST file as well instead of just relying on setup.ini to configure the options.  Too bad you can't configure the option to remove Auto Update feature in setup.ini file.

Thanks for the quick response,

David

New Contributor

Hello David,

I am having simliar problems, were you able to remove or disable Auto Update feature via MST file?

Thank you

New Contributor

Unfortunately I was unable to remove the automatic update feature using an MST file.  The way the MSI package was designed it would not work with an MST.  My work around was to use InstallShield to manually remove the auto update module from the MSI package.  Once that's done the rest of the configuration was done using the options in setup.ini.

I tried several times using the MST file, but when I use the MST file to install the program, the software does not work properly.

New Contributor

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply,  did you remove the RIM_AutoUpdater feature (which includes components and registry) from the msi via Installshield?  I've removed the RIM_AutoUpdater feature from the msi and the files and registry did not install in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Auto Update.  However, when i connect my BB to desktop manager and it still perfoms auto updates.  Am I missing something to dsiable the auto update?

Thank you

New Contributor

I removed the Auto Update feature from Setup Design in InstallShield Admin Studio 2008

Did you try the new msi on a clean machine? 

During my testing, once i removed the auto update feature, and stop using mst the program worked perfectly. 

We pushed out the software using SMS,

with the /qn switch

Hope that helps.

New Contributor

So, you're no longer getting the "Checking for device application updates.  Please wait....." flash screen when you connect your BB to desktop manager?

New Contributor

Actually I think that might be an issue between the actual device and the Desktop Manager.  Have you tried doing a hard reboot (i.e. removing the battery from the blackberry) then restart it and then connect using the new software?

Pleaes let me know if that works.  I seen strange issues and it is resolved by a hard reboot of the actual device.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330

[ Edited ]

my bad

Message Edited by RESERVOIRDOG-24 on 03-03-2009 02:59 PM