Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Remove security policy

How do I remove a leftover security policy from my blackberry -- at one point I was connected to a BES. I am not longer part of the organization, but I can't remove this policy, I tried reloading the device, upgrading software, etc.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: 8320, 8120

Re: Remove security policy

Hi mundo

You have a couple of options for removing this policy.  The first one is to see if you can get put on the BES again and have them send you a blank IT policy.  If you are unable to get put on the BES again, call your carrier for support.  Inform them that you would like an IT policy removed from your device and they will contact RIM to help you.

Cheers!

Contributor

I contacted my carrier since option 1 is not available to me. Ultimately my carrier connected with RIM, after a phone conversation with a RIM support agent, below are the instructions I received. They seem to work, but it will be about a week before I confirm, as my device was prompting me to change my password every week.

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Customer Support. My name is Ron and I am a member of the Handheld & Desktop Escalation Team. I am emailing you in regards to your request to remove a pre-existing IT Policy.

Please follow the steps below to obtain the blank policy:
1. Backup the handheld. [Open Desktop Manager > Backup & Restore > Backup.
(Desktop Manager can be downloaded from http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/ > BlackBerry® Device and Desktop Software > Download BlackBerry Device and Desktop Software > BlackBerry Desktop Software v4.2 Service Pack 2 )

2. Perform a security wipe on the handheld [Options > Security Options > General Settings > Click the track wheel/menu button and click "Wipe Handheld"]

3. Copy the "Policy.bin" file [attached] into the following directory: "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry"

4. Open Desktop Manager and connect the handheld.

5. When the handheld makes the connection to Desktop Manger the blank IT Policy will be applied.

6. Once the policy has been applied, please ensure that you delete the "Policy.bin" file that was copied to C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry. If you do not remove this file, Desktop Manager may not behave as expected.

At this point, you can restore your backup file or specific databases to the handheld.

For more information on restoring specific databases, please check the following Knowledge Base Article:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB10339&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=15399416&stateId=0%200%2015401322

If you have any questions regarding the steps above please don't hesitate to contact us.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

BlackBerry Customer Support
Research In Motion Limited

Contributor

One item to note, I followed step 6 as noted in the instructions from RIM, which calls for the deletion of a policy file, but now when I hook up my device, the Desktop Software tells me that there is a problem with the policy.bin file??

Just an additional link to a similar procedure to remove the IT policy. It also contains a link to download the blank IT policy on your computer. It worked perfectly for my BB 8100. Hope it can help you too.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remove-i-t-policy-blackberry-569/

My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Any suggestions how to remove the IT Security Policy using a mac?

My Device: 8310
My Carrier: airtel India

i have a blackberry 8310 unused for couple of years.  I found it has IT policy of my previous company and wanted to remove it and followed your instructions.  Nothing happened at step 5 or there after when BB desktop software was opend and device connected.

There was another information i found in net that said to make a regedit change as below:

"Step 5 From the Windows Start Menu select Run..., and at the prompt type regedit. In the tree on the left hand side, navigate to: 

HKEY_Current_Users\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\PolicyManager 

Right-Click the Policy Manager Folder and select New/String Value. Name the value Path. Now, Double-Click the Path Subkey and set Value Data to:

C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\policy.bin 
Step 6 Open the Desktop Manager. 
Step 7 Connect the Device."

I did that too, but No result?

Is there something i am missing?  is there anything i should do after connecting device to get default IT policy to get loaded onto my deive

Visitor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: orange

great instructions but i cannot find the file path "C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry" anywhere on my syestem, any ideas? 

thanks

My Device: Bold

Re: Remove security policy - KB18998

How to reset the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults

Article ID: KB18998

Type: Support Content

Last Modified: 10-16-2012

Product(s) Affected:

• BlackBerry Bold
  • BlackBerry Curve
  • BlackBerry Pearl
  • BlackBerry Storm
  • BlackBerry Style 9670
  • BlackBerry Torch
  • BlackBerry Tour 9630
  • Porsche Design P’9981 Smartphone from BlackBerry
  • Desktop Software (Windows)
  • Desktop Software (Mac OS)
  • BlackBerry Enterprise Server
CollapseEnvironment

• BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1 to 5.0 SP3
  • BlackBerry Device Software 4.3 to 5.0
  • BlackBerry 6
  • BlackBerry 7
  • BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.7 to 5.0 SP1 (Windows)
  • BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0 to 7.1 (Windows)
  • BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.4 (Mac OS)
CollapseOverview

Resetting the BlackBerry smartphone to factory defaults will erase all data from the BlackBerry smartphone (including built-in storage) along with any IT policies sent from a BlackBerry® Enterprise Server.

In addition, an applied BlackBerry ID will be removed, allowing the use of another.

Warning: It is recommended to backup all BlackBerry smartphone data prior to performing a reset to factory defaults to ensure the data is not permanently lost. You can perform a backup of the BlackBerry smartphone using KB12487.

For BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.1 to 7.1

These versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software have built-in functionality to perform a reset to factory defaults. To perform this task, please refer to KB27739 - How to use the BlackBerry Desktop Software Support Tools.

For BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.7 to 5.0.1 and BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0

On 32-bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7:

1. On the computer, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. (Note: Windows Vista and 7, right-click and select Run As Administrator.)
  2. Type cd C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and press Enter.
  3. Type loader.exe /resettofactory and press Enter.

On 64-bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7:

1. On the computer, click Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt. (Note: For Windows Vista and 7, right-click and select Run As Administrator.)
  2. Type cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader and pressEnter.
  3. Type loader.exe /resettofactory and press Enter.

For BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.4 for Mac

1. Close the BlackBerry Desktop Software if it is open.
  2. On the computer, click on Go > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  3. Type cd /Applications/BlackBerry\ Desktop\ Software.app/Contents/MacOS/ and pressEnter.
  4. Type ./bbdm resettofactory and press Enter.

Note: If the smartphone has a password enabled, that password must be specified within the command line. For example, type " ./bbdm -password 12345 resettofactory" (where 12345 is the BlackBerry smartphone password).

For BlackBerry Enterprise Server 4.1 
  1. Open BlackBerry Manager.
  2. Select BlackBerry Domain.
  3. Click Edit Properties.
  4. Select IT Policy.
  5. Double-click IT Policies.
  6. Select the appropriate IT policy or create a new one and click Properties.
  7. Select Security.
  8. Set the Reset to Factory Defaults on Wipe drop-down list to True.
  9. Click OK to apply changes and exit.
  10. Assign the IT policy to a BlackBerry smartphone user.
  11. Right-click on the BlackBerry smartphone user and select Erase Data and Disable Handheld.

For BlackBerry® Enterprise Server 5.0
  1. Log into the BlackBerry Administration Service with an account that can create or edit IT policies (for example, Enterprise Administrator or Security Administrator roles).
  2. Under BlackBerry solution management, expand Policy, and click Create an IT policy(assign a name, click Save, then click the new IT policy name) or Manage IT policies, and select an IT policy to alter.
  3. Click Edit IT policy.
  4. Click the Security tab.
  5. Set the Reset to Factory Defaults on Wipe drop-down list to True.
  6. Click Save all.
  7. Assign the IT policy to a BlackBerry smartphone user.
  8. Select the PIN number of the BlackBerry smartphone user from Manage users and chooseDelete all device data and disabled device.
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9790
My Carrier: Koodos

Is this the same procedure using a MAC?

Klepetit