Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Removing Voice Dialing

After fully charging my Blackberry 8330, my voice dialing is automatically activated without me pressing any buttons.  My sister's does the same thing.  Tech support says that it might me one of our programs/games.  I was going to try removing voice dialing from my phone completely to see if that works but I don't know how.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BB Tour 9630 / Sprint

Re: Removing Voice Dialing

it doesnt show in my app list in order to remove. my guess is its part of os. try goto options/voice dialing.( i am  using os 4.5 )there is no "turn off completely" option but the first option says "choice lists", do the drop down and select always off and then menu/save. maybe this will be as good as removing it, not sure though. another guess make sure you dont have voice dialing assigned to one of your convenience keys , maybe you are accidently touching that key when you unplug charger? hope this helps...also did you search forum for this? maybe an answer that way.
Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote! - - Benjamin Franklin
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

WelcSmiley Happyme to the suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums

Is your voice dialing on your side default key? If it is, try replacing it with something else and then just "hide" the voice dialing icon. 

Go to OPTIONS - SCREEN KEYBOARD - then scroll down to default keys.....

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy
My Device: Curve 8310

I used the following program to remove voice dialing plus other items that I have never used, it also is a good program for providing a little more memory if required as it gets rid of some of the mundane items provided.

http://www.berryreview.com/2008/07/02/maxmem-free-memory-optimizer-free-5mb-of-space/

When you accept a solution from anyone could you please select the appropriate box.
Also, select the appropriate Kudos box and click it for the person’s solution you accepted thank you.

Ian H
New Contributor

Thank you for your post!

MaxMem by BerryCoder (http://blog.berrycoder.com/) solved my problem by allowing me to uninstall Voice Activated Dialing.

For months I suffered with a problem where VAD would spontaneously activate, silence my Alarms, and prevent me from speaking on the phone. Ths would happen seemingly at random, several times a day.

VAD would go into a loop, "Listening" for a command. If I pressed the Hangup button, it would stop for a moment, but 5 seconds later VAD would pop up again. 

Ironically the VAD problem would activate itself when a scheduled Alarm would go off, or when I received a call! . When VAD was in this loop   I would be unable to do anything until I mashed buttons randomly on the keyboard. I would be "connected" but unable to hear callers, and they could not hear me.  My alarm would be silent, causing me to oversleep more than once until I learned better.

I removed VAD from the "quick buttons" on the side of the phone. I chose to "hide"  VAD and turned off "Show All" from the main menu, so  VAD did not even show in the menu and in principle there was no way for me to even pick VAD.  Still VAD could spontaneously start up when my phone rang, or alarm rang. ugh!

Enter MaxMem! 

Installing and operating MaxMem was easy, and I was able to uninstall VAD in moments. I did do a backup on Blackberry Desktop Manager beforehand to be safe. 

I was concerned that after removing VAD, this problem would surface in some other way, but after 1 day, it all looks good. Good bye Voice Activated Dialing.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Various

I'm having the same problem.

After using MaxMem to remove VAD, I can not hear the people talking on the phone.

I have tried multiple versions of OS 4.5 and they cause the same issue. Using OS 4.3 works fine.

Is there another solution that does work and not just mask the problem?

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry for not posting a follow up sooner. My problem went away for about a week and then returned.  The problem alwayshad been intermittent. Anyway, now it no longer caused voice dialing to activate (since it was removed) but the call would be silent. Randomly mashing buttons seemed to resolve the problem on occasion.  I eventually discovered that if I gently flexed the phone convexly, the problem would resolve immediately. I would often have to do this several times a day. I determined that it was a bad connection inside the device. I sent it back for insurance replacement.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Various

Thanks dmgoncalves.

When the voice goes silent I'm finding it thinks it's connected to an external device. I do not have any Bluetooth items attached and can not get the volume to phone. I found that if I enable Bluetooth, add a device (phone, headset, speaker, etc) the volume returns to the phone. I then disable bluetooth and it keeps working fine. No VAD anmd no silence.

I have not opened the phone and will try that as the unit is out of warranty and upgrade it to a Tour. Just want this unit working.

My Device: Blackberry Curve 8330

thanks for posting this. I've been having this problem for a couple months now and haven't been able to find anything in the forums about the problem. The bending the phone thing works, not a permanent fix but at least I can make phone calls again! thanks!

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

berrybad wrote:

thanks for posting this. I've been having this problem for a couple months now and haven't been able to find anything in the forums about the problem. The bending the phone thing works, not a permanent fix but at least I can make phone calls again! thanks!

Berrybad - WelcSmiley Happyme to the cSmiley Happymmunity suppSmiley Happyrt fSmiley Happyrums!!

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy