Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Restoring Contacts via Blackberry Desktop Software - [Help]

I just updated my T-Mobile Backberry Bold 9900 to version 7.1x.

Previously to updating, I made multiple attempts, but it continuously froze during the Social Feeds backup process @ 12%.

After multiple boots and OS insisting on relaunching the upgrade, I hard boot the system and fortunately all of my messages, contacts and emails were salvaged.

I attempted to upgrade the OS via Blackberry Desktop Software v.6.1x, but insisted on freezing. Reboot all systems, managed to retain all information on phone.

To ensure none of that information was lost in future upgrade attempts, I backed everything up via Blackberry Desktop Software v.6.1x.  My understanding from watching the Backup Process details, it backs up everything from emails, messages, contacts, BBM contacts, etc.

Once finished, I proceeded with OS upgrade and unchecked the option to backup (because a. I had JUST back everything up. b. from recent experiences, it seems to ALWAYS freeze.)  The installation process downloaded...installed...did all of its reboots....and viola....OS v.7.1

So now I'm thinking...ok, lets restore all of my emails, SMS's, and Contacts.  (I have 2 BBM Contacts...so I'm not real concerned about those) because all of that information had been erased from my phone during the install process.

Now, as I'm going through Blackberry Desktop Software....I can't seem to find ANYTHING that would suggest the ability to restore the information it had previously indicated it had been backing up.  

Does anyone know where I can import this information from?!  I know where my backup files are at on my PC....I just can't find the directory within the backup RAR file that would contain all of my Address Book / Contacts.

Help please.

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

Re: Restoring Contacts via Blackberry Desktop Software - [Help]

Whether you know where your backup file is or not you can try the BlackBerry Backup Extractor to check for existing local backups on your computer. It can extract data such as SMS, emails, calendars, contacts, notes, etc. from the backup, and most of the files can be imported back to your device with ease. Hope this helps. 

Regular Contributor
My Device: curve
My Carrier: Telus

[ Edited ]

Anyone who recommends the blackberry backup extractor must be either working for the company or an investor. I refuse to pay for something that RIM should fix. This is completely assinine. The new bold backup format doesn't work with Desktop manager? Is anyone not absolutely going crazy that RIM would do something SO STUPID? I'm sorry I'm very mad that I have lost 2 hours of my night trying to figure this out and I do not believe I should pay for a solution.

RIM can you hear me? send me a fix or publish DM 7.032 immediately.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: T-Mobile

I share your frustration.  As Blackberry-to-the-bone as I am, I'm begining to start putting my faith aside and wake up to the fact that the product I purchased for $600 (CASH) isn't worth what I paid.

Everytime I upgrade any of their products (I also own a Playbook), at some point the process freezes.  Then, communication between the devices is touch and go.

Now that I updated my Bold 9900 to v7.1, I can no longer establish a connection via bridge manually or via barcode scanning.  I've lost valuable information and quite frankly has put me in a position where I may throw these devices on eBay and let some poor sap buy'em.

I love BlackBerry.  I love my BlackBerry Bold 9900.  But I can't instill my trust upgrading software, I can't afford to lose my important information again and then have no way to truely retreive it.  Oh it pisses me off that Desktop Software backed EVERYTHING up and the only restore option is to reload my images and videos.

RIM,  TAKE YOUR PROFIT MARGIN AND INVEST IT BACK INTO THE COMPANY! ALL OF IT! YOU CAN BE THE BEST AGAIN!

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve
My Carrier: Vodafone

[ Edited ]

BlackBerry has seemly rolled back v7.0 as many others have complained about the the BBDM freezing. 

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

mleckman wrote:

Anyone who recommends the blackberry backup extractor must be either working for the company or an investor. I refuse to pay for something that RIM should fix.

I agree...

A free data extraction tool is MagicBerry by Menastep.

http://menastep.com/pages/magicberry.php

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code