Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Restoring email, other files to new 9530

Ah ok. If you get the 507 error that means you'll have to reload the OS on the BlackBerry to get it working properly again.

Since you already have the desktop manager you just have to download and install the handheld software from here: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Afterwards try reloading the OS by connecting the device to your computer, open the Desktop Manager, then go into the Application Loader. This will open a wizard that steps you through reloading the OS onto your device. More detailed steps can be found in here:
http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Okay...some progress, but still more than a few hangups.  Finally got the other one configured and installed as described.  That brought the device up so I could put it on the network and function properly, dial, etc.  But when I ran the desktop software to restore...I have the backup file, I can point to, but when it starts I see the two progress bars and the Transfer message, but nothing happens.  The bars remain grey...I let it run a half hour.  The backup file is only 18Mb...the install was far larger.  So now I have a working device, but can't restore it to the settings and files of the other device.  Next?? 
Elite I

Did you want to restore everything or only certain databases?

Try resetting the phone by removing the battery for 1 min and replace it and let it reboot. Try it afterwards

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Contributor

Took the battery out, put it back in and tried again.  Same result: Transfer in progress with 2 white bars and no progress.  I'm merely pointing to the backup.ipd file.  I want whatever's on there; whatever normally gets sucked into that backup file, I guess.  Can't really answer your question.

One other thing I did realize, there was also a LoaderBackup file...I believe that was when I first tried to plug the device in when it had no battery (see above in the this thread).  Should I try it with that?

Another thing which shouldn't matter, but worth mentioning.  The machine I did the backup on from the original device is different from the PC I'm using to restore.  I copied the backup.ipd file over and the .cab.  The first machine was good up to a point when it crapped out due to some restricting software that my client must have put on the device (I got an error message that "this is a read-only device" which usually happens since we're not allowed to do anything with thumb drives, etc.)  Thinking that might be the case, I decided to put the battery back in the old device and do the backup from that on the new machine that has no such software. Doing that ended up being the zero too b/c it did the same thing on backup: froze with "Transfer in progress" and two white bars.  BTW, I have to force quit the app since cancelling doesn't end the process."

Elite I

You could try restoring from the LoaderBackup file too.

Try going into Backup and Restore | Advanced. If the left hand side is empty, just go to File | Open and browse to where the IPD file is. Afterwards you'll see all of the databases from that IPD on the left side. On the right side you'll see the currently connected BlackBerry's databases. Try copying from the left to the right the most important ones you want to restore. Or you can try them one by one and see which one it keeps failing on

Contributor

Yeah tried that and that...nothing.  AND...now I'm finding out that I can't even reset my email accts. on this device.  When I go into the Setup Wizard and try to set up my email accounts, I have 1 option: "I want to use a work email account..."  This is not for a work account and there is no other option to select on that screen.  I can't go any further to set up email accounts which is really aggravating me now.  I might have to go back to using the old one b/c I'm on the road tomorrow and I can't afford to be screwing around like this.  I don't even think the browser is on this device.  It would be nice if they sent a device that at least had the software on it instead of a completely blank brick. 

(sorry for griping...)

Highlighted
Elite I

[ Edited ]

On the new one did your carrier transfer your BlackBerry data plan onto the new device? You said you have Verizon right? When you put the SIM card into it, does your signal show 1x, 1X, or 1XEV?

Also you can setup the email accounts again through the BIS website. If you have Verizon that site is here

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=vzw&locale=en

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 02-19-2009 12:47 AM