Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Restoring files

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I'm having a problem that I can't seem to find a solution for. Here's what happened.

Back in April 2012 I didn't know Blackberry Desktop Manager existed, but I wanted to backup by BB. So I plugged it into my MacBook and simply dragged everything from the phone into empty folder on my MacBook.

About 3 weeks ago, my phone totally freaked out and wouldn't reboot after multiple tries; it just got stuck 3/4 of the way and couldn't finish. I figured the phone was done for good, so again, I plugged it into my MacBook. However this time it prompted me to install Desktop Manager, so I did.

Long stoy short, I got the phone back up, however everything reset, all my contacts were gone, but worst of all, all my MemoPad notes were gone! Many of these notes were related to my job and had very important information. I know there's no chance of getting the MemoPad files from April 2012 until 3 weeks ago back. However, I would love to get whatever MemoPad files were on the phone when I did my unofficial backup in April.

Does anyone know how to get files that were backed up (not using Desktop Manager) back onto my BB?? 

Thanks!

Cait

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Restoring files

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Refer to this:

• KB03974 BlackBerry smartphone database list

Everything there is what WAS NOT backed up when you did your unofficial copy to your MAC. So, nothing that is there is available to you now...like all things, there must be a source for restore, and since you did not do a proper backup, nothing in that list is available to you.

But, to restore what you did copy, you simply reverse the process on your MAC...find, on your MAC, the files you want, then copy those back to the same folder from which they originated on your BB. I have no idea if any of the memos you need will be there or not, but you need to explore on your MAC what you have, for that is all that you have.

• KB11850 How to manually transfer files between a BlackBerry smartphone and a Macintosh computer

For future reference, here's the process I recommend folks follow:

Daily -- configure the FREE BB Protect app to back up all that it can "to the cloud". Have it use only WiFi if data network consumption is an issue on your plan.

• KB25062 How to use BlackBerry Protect to back up data on a BlackBerry smartphone

Weekly:

1. Backup your BBM Contacts to your Device or Media Card Memory
    1. KB20554 How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list
  2. Via Mass Storage Mode (that which you already did), manually copy, to your computer, the entire contents of your Device and Media Card memory areas
    1. KB11850 How to manually transfer files between a BlackBerry smartphone and a Macintosh computer
  3. Via the Desktop Software, conduct a full backup of your BB to your computer
    1. KB18776 Back up and restore BlackBerry smartphone data on a Mac computer using BlackBerry Desktop Software

With that, you are quite ready to recover from pretty much any circumstance. Further, if you use a Desktop PIM (e.g., Outlook), you can synchronize (via USB and the Desktop Software) between your BB and that PIM, providing you with yet another level of protection.

• KB19148 How to synchronize organizer data in Microsoft Office for Mac between the BlackBerry smartphone and a Mac computer using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Final thought...an old saying for you:

• There are two kinds of computing device users -- those who have lost data, and those who will

With this event, you migrated from the latter to the former. Like insurance, backups are neither a reactive nor an optional activity.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for getting back to me!

So when you say that I need to reverse the process, you mean I need to drag everything from the unofficial backup onto my Blackberry? But how do I know which files are the MemoPad files? Or do I need to drag everything back on it?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

I'm suggesting that you find, on your MAC, the exact files you need, and drag only those over to the BB, into the exact folder from which they came. If you drag everything, it's possible that you will wipe out things that now exist and are needed...replacing them with your "old" version might cause problems. So I'm suggesting a targeted restore...not a wholesale one.

I don't know which (if any) are the MemoPad files...you'll have to look at the filenames and/or folder locations to determine if they might be what you need.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks! I'll let you know how it goes.