Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

Restoring old messages from old backup

Hi there I really hope you can help.
I have had a Blackberry 8900 for a few years and back up fairly regularly. My mum died last year and I have stuck with Blackberry to ensure all her messages are still on my phone. I have just bought a 9900 and thought I successfully backed up the old one and transferred all data over. Have just looked and only 2 messages from 2010 are there! This seems random in itself but how can I get the old messages back from an old backup? I will surely lose the current info and is there a limit to the lifetime of a message? Thank you.
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Restoring old messages from old backup

On the 8900, had you actually pressed SAVE on those messages?

Were those messages in the "Saved" file folder?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

Thanks for getting back to me. No I hadn't saved them specifically as far as I remember. They have been now. If I select an old backup and restore it can I then save the messages I want, and then restore my current/latest backup again? Or what is your suggestion. Thank you.
Highlighted
Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

jproctor wrote:
 If I select an old backup and restore it can I then save the messages I want, and then restore my current/latest backup again? Or what is your suggestion. Thank you.

That is exactly what I recommend.

Then, restore that backup to the new device.

You can also select ONLY to backup the SAVED messages file, so you can pinpoint restoreing ONLY those.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code