Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: 02

Restoring old text messages vanished from BB protect

Hi
I need to restore some important old text messages that I had automatically backed up to BB Protect (set to back up weekly). I did not dleete the text messages and have been using BB Protect over the time that I want to use the messages from. Previously I could enter a date that I wanted to restore my messsages to when using BB protect. Now it no longer offers me that choice, just 3 recent dates in a list, the first about a month ago. I understand the backup should have been stored with RIM as well so can anyone advise how I can access them please? Incidently I have already tried accessing BB protect via my playbook but this does not allow me any further. The messages I want to access go from end July 2012 to end October 2012. Do I need to contact RIM directly?
Many thanks!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Restoring old text messages vanished from BB protect

You can only restore from the available dates listed. If the date isn't listed, it's not there anymore.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

If you want to have older backups that you might want to restore from you should make manual backups using Desktop Software on your computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. What would have happened to the previous saved dates then? I understand the downlooads are stored at RIM. Surely I should be informed when the old backups are going to be deleted? Yes I can underrstand about making manual backups now, but there was no warning my backups on Blackberry protect would be deleted. That is what I understood blackberry protect was there for - to be able to restore from. The dates available now are only over the past few weeks yet I have been using blackberry protect for many months already. Hw could all my other backups just disappear? Thanks in advance
Guru II

It only saves a certain number of them. I don't know what the logic is for how much it saves. The only thing you could do is to contact your carrier and see if they will escalate to BB Support. Barring that there is not much that can be done.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thanks I will try that. Hopefully they will escalate it for me. Will let you know the outcome.