Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: 8310
My Carrier: vodafone

Retiring BB user wants advice on which device

Hi

I am about to retire and have used a company-provided 8310 for many years (2G only) for email and GPRS/EDGE internet access. I want to get a device which will meet the following criteria:

- good voice quality

- good battery life

- 3G internet access

- keyboard or screen for text entry.

- I do not need / want access to loads of apps.

I am not particularly tech. or app. inclined - so asking the experts here for recommendations. I'm a low volume user (calls, texts and internet), so non-current models also of interest as may buy second hand device.

What would you recommend?

Thanks

Stewart

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900

Re: Retiring BB user wants advice on which device

I'd recommend the 9900 all the way, it's easily the best device available.  Only issue is that the battery life won't be as good because:

1 - It's a much newer device with a larger display, higher processor, 3g, etc, compared to your old phone.

2 - The battery is pretty small (this is the main problem).

Seidio has an extended battery which would resolve this, but then you have some additional cost in buying it.

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16GB

Re: Retiring BB user wants advice on which device

I would also recommend the 9900. If you configure it wisely (e.g. using the battery saving mode and the auto on/off feature) you can reach 2 days of moderate use with no problems.

The keyboard and trackpad alone are worth the price for me - never had a more comfortable phone to type with.

As for the extended battery you can bye up to a 3500 mAh but it adds much bulk.