Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Retrieve of entire bbm conversation

Tested with a chat group. The chat is only set to keep a days worth of text. I started off at the top of the list and did Copy Chat. Then pasted into an email message. When I received the email it contained the whole conversation from yesterday.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: various
My Carrier: AT&T

With the device powered ON, remove the battery for 10 seconds. then put it back in and let it boot normally.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Accept as Solution" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the Star on the left of their post.
New Contributor
My Device: blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Singtel

sigh,just did that and is not working either. =((

New Contributor

after i did that i try to copy chat again right?

I did that but is the same problem.

Elite I

So you started off at the top, or hit "T" to go to the top of the chat and it's not working? Maybe it's different in groups vs a ono-on-one chat. I'll have to test further with people then.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
New Contributor

ya. if i not wrong is different. Maybe you try already let me know. Thanks

Elite I

Just tried in a one-on-one conversation and it copied the whole thing.

How long is the conversation you're trying to copy? How many days does it go back?

New Contributor

is a few hours conv, but because is so long that the start of the conv got cut off already. So ya.

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

If the beginning of the conversation is already off the device and you haven't set the conversation to save in advance, there is little to do to recover the part that's already missing.  In testing with jmrmb80 we confirmed that it will only copy the portions that are displayed on the device.

While this won't help for the missing conversation, you can do the following to ensure you don't have this problem in the future.  Please be aware that you should check your local laws to see if you are allowed to save conversations.  In some countries and states, it's only allowed if both parties are aware that the conversation is being recorded.

Now then, to save future conversations, open BlackBerry Messenger, then press the BB Menu button and select Options.  Under Save Chat History, select whether to save the chat to Device Memory or Media Card.  You will see a warning message about checking with local laws.  Save the settings and you'll be good to go.

Sorry this doesn't help recover the lost messages, but at least it will help prevent lost messages in the future.  My guess is that your device was probably low on available application memory, meaning that it was purging messages.  The battery pull you performed freed up some memory, however the messages that had been purged while it was low on application memory are now gone.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: Vodacom

Hi

I have a curve 3G and I have done exactly what you ask, but my device does not save messages larger than 147kb on my sd card. Why is this and how do I change it?