Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9300 Curve
My Carrier: Tesco

Revert to device software version on Curve 9300

I (mistakenly) downgraded from a version 6 level to version 5 on the device software on my 9300 and now I cannot get back to version 6 (the desktop software says that I have to be a Blackberry service subscriber to do the upgrade). I do have a Blackberry ID, but I haven't found support for this in version 5 of the device software.

How do I get back to version 6 of the device software?

Thank you

B_Byrne

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Revert to device software version on Curve 9300

Hi B_Byrne

Welcome to Support  Forums

The Message indicates that you don't have a BlackBerry Data Plan in your account , Do you have that ! How ever you can try to Downgrade it manually , if you want that then after downloading the OS pack you have to disconnect any internet connection and cables from the pc on which you perform those steps, and have to delete a few Vendor .Xml files . So 

1.Locate your Carrier and Download the OS you desire from here  BlackBerry Software Download Site

• (make sure you are downloading for the same model as you have )

2. Now Double Click  the file that you Downloaded to Install it on your PC

3. Download and install the latest BlackBerry desktop software from here BlackBerry desktop software

• Then using desktop software perform your full backup of your device.

4.Search your C: drive for Vendor.xml and delete them, there may be one or two vendor.xml ( On your Pc change your folders option to show hidden files/folders ) :

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\Windows UserName\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5. Remove all Internet Connection and cables from the PC .

6. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader. (For 64-bit Vista or Windows 7, the path       will be C: > Program Files x86 > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader) double click Loader.exe

Upgrade will continue then After Installation of New OS restore your backup using BlackBerry desktop

Software.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Thank you.

When I use loader.exe I get a meesage

"The desktop software does not have device software for the device that is connected" (or words to that effect)

I get the same result if I restore the vendor.xml file.

In the desktop software, I can see the versions of the level 6 device software but all the versions are starred indicating that I need to be a Blackberry service subscriber.

This is strange as I upgraded to a new version of 6 a week (or so) ago and have since downgraded to 5 to get the Japanese language apps.

Thanks again for your help

B_Byrne

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

B_Byrne wrote:

When I use loader.exe I get a meesage

"The desktop software does not have device software for the device that is connected" (or words to that effect)

I get the same result if I restore the vendor.xml file.

Hi B_Byrne

How do you restore those Vendor files , have you not delete those ? After installing the OS pack be sure that you have deleted those Vendor files and also your PC is not connected to any Internet Connection .

On your PC change your folder options to show hidden files and folders then Search your C drive and if you find any Vendor files then delete those and try it again.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I have checked my folder options and I had already asked to see hidden files and folders. I cut the vendor.xml file and pasted it into a folder called \notes (on the assumption that the Blackberry software wouldn't think of looking there for it - tell me if I'm wrong) I did disable wireless during the attempted upgrade. A further complication is that I was using the Vodaphone distribution, but I now find that Tesco is a virtual network on top of O2 only - so I am downloading the O2 distribution. It's not clear anyway that the Japanese language support apps will work on top of the version 6 platform, so I'll probably leave it on the level 5 OS for now. Best regards B_Byrne