Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: BB Torch & Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Rim Transcoder*32.exe uses 65% to 99% of CPU

Each time I start BB Desktop manager, a process called Rim Transcoder*32.exe starts after 5-10 seconds and takes over my CPU (using between 65% and 98%). The whole computer then becomes nearly unusable until I kill the process using Windows task manager. I once let the program run while I went to a meeting on the theory that the tr5anscoder was doing something that would only be done once (such as encoding videos or something). When I returned some hours later, the process had indeed stopped. The next time I ran BBDM the process started up and took over the computer again. This makes it almost unusable.  One clue is that the process starts regardless of whether there is a BB attached or not.  I have tried both repairing and fully uninstalling BBDM adn reinstalling but no joy.

• Does anyone know what this process actually does?
  • Will BBDM work for syncing properly if I kill the process with Task Manager?
  • How can I get rid of the problem?

Thanks for any advice!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Three

Re: Rim Transcoder*32.exe uses 65% to 99% of CPU

Yep, had the same problem for many months now.

I end up having to kill the process to sync my phone.

Tried all the usual - disabling ant-virus, clean install etc etc to no avail.

My machine is a Win7 32 bit job.

My Device: BB Torch & Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Thanks. FYI... I ma on an HP 64 bit Win 7 laptop.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

It is pulling information out of any videos it finds in your 'My Videos' folder on the comptuer.

I believe if you go to 'Videos' in desktop manager and remove the 'My Videos' folder (it's there by default), then close the application . . . next time you start it shouldn't go so crazy.

I've never seen it go crazy on my machine.  Must be a bug with certain video types where it spins out of control.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Three

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - you steered me in the right direction .

The only thing is - removing the 'My Videos' folder works only once. After re-starting the software it re-appears. The next thing I tried was unticking 'convert videos' .

Both the above made no difference. Transcoder.exe would return and tie up the computer resources.

So, the next thing was to remove 'My Videos' and  create a folder with nothing in it (I called it NULL) and point the 'sync videos from your computer to your device' there.

This has cured my problems.

Without upsetting people, I cannot be very positive about this Blackberry Desktop Software. Without the above problems it is a resource hog (Rim.Desktop.exe). If someone had a net-top with say an Atom processor, this software would be render the computer unusable.

My Device: bold 9900/ playbook
My Carrier: t-mobile

My solution was to go to the task manager, selected the process(rim. transcoder) and set it to priority below normal