Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Re: Ringer and vibrator not working in Torch 9810

even i have tried all those ways to sort out my problem like full wipe out, removing apps and all but it didnt actually helped out. then after lots of research over the net somewhere i found this solution which i told. and it really worked. just try out the solution which i gave. I am sure it will work. and dont forget to delete vendor.xml file from these two locatoin. actually these files creates the problem.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Follow these steps:

How to remove both vendor.xml files from your PC

Now this obviously is only for Windows PCs since you can't install a new OS from a Mac.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader
From there, remove the vendor.xml file

Next, make sure you can view hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer (Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders)

Then, depending on your version of Windows:

On Windows Vista/7 navigate to C:\Users\YOUR_USER\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)
On Windows XP navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USER\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML (Where "YOUR_USER" is your username)

Remove the vendor.xml file and you're done! Now fire up Deskop Manager or App Loader and you should be able to find the new OS and install away!
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV
My Carrier: AT&T

Ok, so after my last message, my phone developed a mainboard issue and I had to exchange it under warranty.

My new phone has the same issue.  So doing more tests, I discovered the following interesting observation:

If I go into my media and start playing an mp3 music file, exit to the menu WHILE THE SONG IS PLAYING, and go into the ring tone settings, I can do a "Try it" on my ringtone settings AND HEAR THE RINGTONE MIXED WITH THE CURRENT SONG.  This is a sound muting bug, something is setting the speaker volume (for ringtones and phone sounds) to mute and leaving it there, and nothing will unset it for ringtones.  The phone will still not actually ring audibly if someone calls, because once the media player stops playing music (like if the phone rings, it will pause the media player), the ringer won't ring.

I had been wondering if this was some sort of hardware issue with the speaker, but this basically proves that it is not.

Further, again, *while the music is playing*, I will also get other phone sounds like from text messages.

Is there anyplace at RIM to report something like this?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update: 15 hours later, still no bug, this is definitely a huge change from before I removed that app.  Out of curiosity, is anyone else who has experienced this issue been using a flashlight app?

-----------

I've been mulling this over, I've experienced this now on two seperate devices (and on multiple OS versions), and it seems like people with other phone models are running into this too, but yet the vast majority of users are not, or there would be no end of posts about this.

So, based on my observations of something messing with the media or mixer, I started going through all my apps looking for possible culprits... I found one that I will not yet name, that asks permissions for all sorts of things (and coincidentally seems to mute all sounds while it runs, no reason it should need to do that).  Lets just say its a popular flashlight app.  This particular app loads as a background process when the phone boots, and is running all the time.  When I use the flashlight, it shuts off my music, which made this one a prime suspect since its very obviously touching the audio subsystem (and running all the time in the background doing who knows what and with permissions set to touch a lot of things).  So, I removed the app and rebooted.

So now, I've gone quite a bit longer than normal (multiple hours so far) with no muting of my ringer, I am waiting to see if it eventually ends up going mute, and will post here if it seems to have cured the issue or if I discover anything else. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Update: 24 hrs of goodness. I found this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackberry-bold-9930-9900-f235/9930-ringer-mysteriously-stops-working-6... which seems to indicate that 9930 users had the same problem and conclusion, in their case with a different flashlight app, but I am guessing via their thread it is due to some sort of OS change that happened somewhere in OS7, and these flashlight apps seem to cause the issue to crop up.

Bottom line, the cause seems to be an interaction between OS7/7.1 and various flashlight apps.