Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Ringtone Alert with Email

I am trying to figure out how to shut off my ring tone each time I get an e mail when my phone is not in vibrate or silent mode. It is very irritating. I have looked online and set my phone to silent. I set up a custom profile, but the ringtone still goes off each time an e mail comes in. Any help is appreciated.
New Contributor

Re: Ringtone Alert with Email

We are dealing with the same problem over here. Though creating a custom profile does in fact work to remove the email notification, we are unable to change any of the other profiles to remove the notification. We changed them, but they don't actually do anything.

We have reports setup to fire off throughout the night, and the owner of our company isn't to happy to get woken up at 3am if he forgets to turn on the custom profile.

Any thoughts?

Contributor

I think I figured out a happy medium for now. When clicking the sound icon in the top left of the home screen, there is an option for "phone only". So the phone will ring with sound, but if a email comes in it will vibrate per the sound profile settings. I figure this will work ok for me as I only keep the phone on when I am at home, and its on vibrate when I am out. I just didnt want to hear my ring tone (which is a tv theme song) go off every 2 minutes when i get an e mail.
New Contributor

I posted a similar msg earlier today but no one could help.   I checked Crackberry.com and found that you must set sounds to "Normal" (I had it set to "Loud") for your individual settings (Phone, email, text messages, etc) to function.  In this "Normal" setting, the email ring tone will not sound (if set to silent in "Set Ring Tones / Alerts" menu), but the text msg tone will still sound (assuming of course this is not set to "Silent").    This is the solution, although it would have been nice if the instruction manual contained this info.  Thanks Crackberry.com.      Don

Contributor

Wow you are right on with that fix. Thank you! Yes I agree the manual doesnt have any of this information. I think one needs a PHD in Blackberry to really get the nuances of the phone down... Steep learning curve. Thanks again! Smiley Happy
New Contributor

I have one other solution. You could record dead air or import a "Null" sound as a ringtone and then set all your profiles to itSmiley Happy

Yeah, I am the king of work arounds, but it will work!

Enjoy,

Trent

PS Thanks for all the feedback, I appreciate it!

Highlighted
Contributor

I thought about doing that. but knowing my luck it will have some imperfection in the sound when recording and bother me when it rings. Good Luck! Smiley Happy