Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Ringtone won't delete

Okay, I know how to delete a ringtone, but I tried and it won't go away.  This is what happened.  I went into the Desktop Manager so I could rename my ringtones that I had downloaded (I hate when the words of the song all run together).  When I went into my ringtone file on my phone, it had two ringtones for each sone (ex. I changed Faraway to Far Away and both were listed on my phone).  The one that I renamed is the one that works.  I tried to delete the old one (Faraway), but it won't delete.  It is really irritating me to go into that folder and see two ringtone names for each song (if that makes any sense). 

Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks so much!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Ringtone won't delete

I take it you are using a media card?

Take all your take ringtone and copy to a directory on the PC, erase the folder ringtones on the media card,

create the folder again, load the ringtones you want. Then do a battery pull with the phone ON,

replace battery after a minute, let the device reeboot 1-3 minutes, The ringtones will have to reindex so about five minutes later look at them and see if the wrong one is gone

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thanks for responding.  I am not using a media card.  I have downloaded about 7 ringtones from the AT & T site and they work wonderfully.  But after renaming them through my Desktop Manager software on my PC, I now have 2 names for each ringtone (old name: Goodfriendandaglass - new name: Good Friend And A Glass).  I just figured once renamed it, it would automatically make the change to my phone.  It did, but kept the old name too (which doesn't work when played). 

Guru I

[ Edited ]

So does that resolve the problem for you?

try one other way.

go to the main media screen menu explore -device memory - drill down to ringtones and delete the bad ones.

Thanks,

Message Edited by Bifocals on 09-01-2008 07:50 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

Okay, I have done the last thing you said to try (going into the Media file, choosing Explore, Ringtones, etc.).  When I look in that file, only the "good (correctly renamed)" ringtones are listed.  When I go into the Media folder itself and scroll over to the ringtone folder and choose that one, the correct and not correct ringtones are listed.  Am I just being insane?
Guru I

Re: Remington won't delete

The easiest answer for me would be "yes you're insane"  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

I'll look it up, but I don't think there is another way to do it.

Thanks,

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello,

I think that when you are trying to rename the file, well, you aren't. In fact I think you are making a copy, and giving it a nice names (with spaces). I don't use the Desktop Manager for multimedia things so I am not sure.

And when you use the Explorer in your Blackberry, I think you are looking in one folder and not the other.

you have a two trees of files in your Blackberry :

Media Card >> Ringtones
Device Memory >> Ringtones

when you use the Media Application an go to the Ringtones folder, it reads both folders an display all the files.
when you use the Media Explorer, you can of course only see one folder at a time.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Guru I

Xandrex. He doesn't have a memory card

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

nealehoffman,

did you do the battery pull as bifocals explained ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Well I guess if I would of read the entire thing, I would of known to just take the battery out!  Problem solved!  Guess I'm too preoccupied with my kids going back to school tomorrow.

Thanks to all who helped me fix this irritating (if only to me!) problem!!