Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Ringtones suddenly all defaulting to same 3-note tone and will not let me change any of them. Help!

Hi -- I turned on my BB Storm 9530 (w/.75 update installed more than a week ago) today, and when e-mails/calls started coming in, I learned to my dismay that ALL sounds on my Storm now default to the same note being played three times, like someone tapping the same piano key three times.  I go into my Sounds to edit, and my phone and various e-mails have different ringtones listed, but when I click "Try It" on the edit ringtone page, all I hear is the same 3-note monotone no matter which ringtone is selected.  I've tried selecting other default ringtones (I have no custom ones yet), and Saving, but the result is the same; I can't get my phone or e-mail accounts to play unique sounds now.  This is new as of today, and the only thing "new" I did yesterday is finally put some music files on my Storm and ask it to prompt me when I hook up to my pc, in case I want to use mass storage mode.  I did notice that trying to use my pc's system tray icon to release the Storm after moving media files gives me a "Busy -- try again later) so that I had to shut down the pc with the BB still attached.  But I've tried altering the ringtones while disconnected, and nothing changes.  Does anyone have any idea as to how I can regain  my ability to select & play different ringtones?  I can't think why turning on media storage capability would cause this problem, unless I've stumbled on yet another Storm bug.  Can anyone help??  I really need to know when I'm getting a call versus an e-mail.

Thx!

Drew

Contributor

Re: Ringtones suddenly all defaulting to same 3-note tone and will not let me change any of them. H

Here's how I set my contacts ringtones

Go to Sounds > scroll down to set contact alerts > Click Add contact Alerts> Click the BB button > Click Add Name > select your first contact > click phone > click Ring Tone > select the ringtone you want (BTM I'm using parts of songs that I edited thru Audacity a free mp3 auditing software - Audacity.com)  You can try the sound by clicking Try It - when you are satisfied, Click the Back button >  Do the Same for Messages > Click Save > Click the Back button to exit out of that contact.   Start again with a new contact.    (HOPE I didn't leave a step out)

Yes it does take a little time - but worth it to me to know who's calling.

Good luck.

Contributor

Re: Ringtones suddenly all defaulting to same 3-note tone and will not let me change any of them. H

BTW when you clic the Back button - don't forget to save.
New Contributor

Hey, thanks so much for responding.  I actually had already set up a few of the default system ringtones for my family members and e-mail accounts, so that wasn't the problem.  They were working through Monday.  Per my original post, as of yesterday, no matter what ringtone was listed for an item, all items suddenly played the same 3-note monotone alert, and no amount of attempts to edit a ringtone would fix it.  I managed to stop into a Verizon Wireless store yesterday afternoon.  The young woman at the counter suggested I take out the battery, wait 30 seconds, then reinsert it (a "fix" I seem to see on a lot of forum posts!).  Sure enough, forcing the hard boot restored the Storm's ability to actually play the different ringtones I had associated with the various names/e-mails.  True, I had to reset my wallpaper and keyboard preferencesoot after the hard b, but nothing else was lost, and I'm glad to have the different ringtones working again.  I'd sure love to know why the ringtone functionality suddenly stopped working properly yesterday.  I love a lot about the Storm, but it's very buggy and fixes don't seem to be coming often or fast enough.  We'll all see over time, I guess... Thanks again for writing.
New Contributor

Hi,

I've got same problem with you. I tried to took out the battery for 30 seconds, but it seem not solve the problem. The ringtone still in the same 3 tone. Any others idea to solve it?

New Contributor

Hi!  Maybe try leaving the battery out longer, like a minute or two.  If you've already tried that and it didn't recover ringtone options after a complete hard boot, you should call your provider in case there might be larger issues that only they/Blackberry can resolve.  There may also be other answers in the forum, and often the same question gets posed in different wordings.  So search under "ringtones", etc. and see what you find.  Hope it works out!  My issue has not recurred (knock wood).

Thank you so much!! I was so bummed when I heard the annoying 3 note reminder this morning and then realized nothing worked. I took my battery out and waited, then put it back in. Now, not only can I hear my old reminders, the sample pictures have returned also! Thanks again!

I'm not having this same problem!  However, long battery pulls are not bringing my sounds back.  I've also tried loading the latest firmware with no use.

Does someone know what causes this issue to begin with?  How do I start the RMA process for my phone?

New Contributor

Hi there -- per my earlier post, I think if the hard boot battery pulls don't work, you're going to need to contact your service provider to see if they can either repair/replace your unit, based on the terms of your service contract.  They may have other fixes (if so, you might want to post the details for others to see) or you may just have gotten a bad unit.
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Storm

Im having that issue... I just downloaded the "Core Application" upgrade from the desktop manager.  It seems I have NO preloaded ringtones anymore on my device!!!  Why? 
Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.