Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Ringtones will not work - need help!

[ Edited ]

Ok, so assuming I have done everything right, here is my problem.  I have ringtones I downloaded.  I set my phone to a special ring tone and I set a contact to have a different ring tone.

When my phone rings from that contact it does not ring with the tone I specified, only the main ring tone I set for my phone.

In my options it says that it will use the ring tone for all calls except important calls and the call from my contact.

I got on the phone with BB tech support at Verizon who had me re-verify how I set my ring tones, and then even had my reset my phone.  The phone will still only recognize the one ring tone.  It will not ruse the ring tone I set for a particular contact.  They think my phone may be defective.

Does anyone know of a setting that may need to be changed somewhere else to get this to work?  It should be very easy to get a ring tone to work, but I also know there are so many sub menus and settings on this phone maybe there is another step.

Can some one help?

Message Edited by Fluttergirl on 11-02-2008 06:44 PM
Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Ringtones will not work - need help!

Does it not work for only the ringtones you dowmloaded, or not even for the preloaded ringtones?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

It does not work for either the downloaded or the preloaded ring tones.
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums,

Just to assume you did things right, is this the right way?  Smiley Happy

http://blackberryfaq.net/index.php/How_do_I_edit_my_notification_tones_%28profiles%29%3F

Thanks,

If you need more info please ask!  If not please resolve the thread using the options by the Kudos’ star, Just place the check in the Post that answered your question, Thanks  
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Yes, I did it that way and set my main ringer to a downloaded tone.  Then I went in to a contact and edited it and selected a different ring tone to sound when that contact called.

It only rings the tune I downloaded for my main phone under profiles.  The Verizon tech guy on the phone was able to change his and test and got the two different ring tones to work, but not me.

Any other suggestions?

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi,

Two things that I can think of:

1) can you play the ringtone you want to use through the media player

2) what type of file is it? .wav .mp3  ect.

3) Are these custom ringtones? or is it all the ones on the phone.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Elite I
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

How did you edit it?

From in the Address Book, did you just selcet a name and hit your menu button , then choose "Add Custom Phone Tune"?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
New Contributor

What happens when your profile is set to Normal.  Then go to your address book and select the person whose ring tone you want to change and choose option "Add Custom Ring Tone" press enter, and select a ring tone.  Hope this helps.
New Contributor

All ring tones work when I select them to just hear.  Whether they are custom or preloaded from BB.  When in a specfic contact I hit edit, then I select the tone.

Everything seems good, then I have hte contact call and it defaults to the main ring tone I have set for my phone.

New Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the downloaded ones are all mp3