Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl

Roxio Media Manager

When RIM updated the desktop software to include Roxio Media Manager, I installed it on a few of my systems. Needless to say, it trashed three of my systems. I run XP Pro, SP3, and Win2000 Pro, SP4, the install effected both operating systems to about the same degree. After hours of repair, I loaded the updated software without Roxio Media Manager without any problems on the install. Anyone else have this problem?
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Roxio Media Manager

When you say it "trashed" the operating system, what kinds of things started happening?
Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

I run XP SP3 with no problems, except with writing Data CD's/Dvd's...it fails to complete successfully.

Sayin that I do not run the Media Manager for anything else other than needing to writing dvd's or cd's...end up going back to XP writing the disc's.

Like other posts have eluded to, are you installing the Media Manager for anything else other then needing to transfer files to the device and from it? If so, installing the media manager is an unneccessary resource stealer...If the devices you have pre sd card then the media manager wil be needed for file transfer.

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl

First off, let me say, Roxio was a name I trusted, along with RIM. When I say trashed, I mean, totally trashed. I have not seen a system so trashed since the first release of WIN98. When I mean trashed I mean failure to successfully boot, the corruption of other programs and the thought of losing all my data (we all know there are times when it is easier to nuke and rebuild Vs. figure out what went wrong). As in needing Roxio to transferr media files, yes, that is what I wanted and needed. To transferr media files to and from my laptop, while on the road, and to my desktop while at home and in the office. I have since been using the bluetooth ability to do the same, but, it is a pain to turn on and go through the motions when all I should have to do is drag and drop. The burn CD/DVD's that you experienced, yes, here too, I have purchased Nero to solve that problem. I do not consider my laptop to be totally reliable to this day, and my desktop I  have gotten most of the bugs back out. Now that semester is out I will have more time to go in and look at just what happened with the laptop. With it effecting each system equally, I know that I can not be the only person this has happened to! I was just looking for other system knowledgeable users whom might have suffered the same.
Highlighted
Developer
My Device: 8520, 9700

Well all I can say is goodluck at findng the issue....

On top of that, your best bet is to rather just cable the device and transfer in that way, it is quick enough and efficient what is required.

RIM have thrown out alot if big hype around Media Manager when the majority just want to do simple transfers, which can be done without it. 95% or so of Media Manager's functionality does not require a device.