Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Roxio Media Manager

I have loaded Desktop Manager version 4.3.0.17 with Roxio Media Manager which appears to have installed complete, yet everytime I restart my Windows XP Pro laptop Windows Installer goes through re-installing it then tells me to restart to complete the installation. I am showing Media Manager in my installed programs and it is working in conjunction with the Desktop Manager yet it continues to go through the reinstall each time I restart. This has happened every time I restart for over two weeks.

Any ideas?

Contributor
My Device: Curve 8330- Sprint

Re: Roxio Media Manager

nothing but problems with this software. it sucks, bb is working on it
New Contributor

When I installed the software that came with my 8100smartphone it obviously installed some Roxio software at the same time (its in my start menu and works perfectly), however, when i start my computer and login a microsoft install window appears saying it is trying to gather information in order to install the media manager. I thought that this was just an update thing so let it go on but it stops and asks for me to source the .msi file, which isnt on the blackberry disk or anywhere on my computer. I have tried reinstalling the blackberry software, however this does not help!

This issue is now slowing my computer down as everytime I stop the (re)installiation of Roxio Media Manager the CPU usage sky rockets to 100% as the Windows Installer starts all over again! Does anyone have any idea as to when BB will be fixing this or does anyone know of a way on uninstalling the Roxio software (as i cant find it in the ass/remove program list).

Any help would be appreciated!

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

I am having difficulty as well.  I have a problem  moving Photos to my Media Card. I get a message saying that "Module9 is not responding" and would I like to wait or close the Program. I close the program, and after I remove the USB line, I check my Media Photos, and the photo is there! 

If you cannot find Roxio in the Add and Delete Programs (in Control Panel), then look for it in your Program Files (C-Drive, and then click on Program Files. Look for Roxio in the Program Files list. Open it and check the contents. Then if you are sure you want to delete, Click the delete button, and watch it go!

However, after I did this, and re-loaded the Program, I still had the same problem.  Roxio Program is having difficulty with BB Desktop 4.3. .BB is working on a solution. I hope they rectify it soon!

The only other way, is to delete any and all traces of Roxio from the Registry.  However, only if you know what you're doing. or can take the Computer to a Professional Service Company. DO NOT MESS with Registry. It can wipe out ALL programs if not done correctly.

Let us know if you  find any solutions.

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
New Contributor

Writer / Sab1955,

Having spent some time on the phone to Roxio I have just recieved an e-mail from their customer care dpeartment telling me how to get around this issue of Media Manager 9 thinking it needs to be reinstalled etc. The steps that they have set out have worked on my machine and i'm now not having any issues!

Below are the steps that were suggested to me, I take no blame if they dont work for you as this is literally copied and pasted from the e-mail:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Download the Microsoft Windows Installer Clean Up Utility to your desktop and install to remove Roxio and Sonic software.
    1. Click here to go to the download page.
    2. Scroll down to and click on Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now.
    3. Click on Save and choose to save it on your Desktop.
    4. On your Desktop, double-click on msicuu2.exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to install.
    5. Click on Start -> All programs -> Windows Install Clean up.
    6. Select Roxio Media Manager 9, DirectXServiceInstall, and any entry started with Roxio or Sonic.
    7. Click on Remove.

2. Once that is completed please disable your startup applications using MSCONFIG. This will disable any unnecessary background or system tray applications from loading.
    1. Go to Start -> Run. Type 'msconfig' (without quotes) then click OK.
    2. Select the Startup tab.
    3. Click the Disable All button.
    4. Click the Apply button, then click the OK button.
    5. Click the Restart button.

To reverse this, go back into MSCONFIG and select Enable All and restart (that can be done once installation is complete).

Note: Some anti virus/spyware programs may not be disabled using the steps listed above. You may need to check with your anti virus/spyware vendor on how to temporarily disable them.

3. For the step below you will need to show hidden files. This can be done by clicking on my computer then go up and click on Tools -> Folder Options -> View tab. Make sure show hidden folders is selected and click Apply.

4. Delete these folders from your hard drive.

Note: When trying this step you may receive a message that a 'file is in use'. Simply drag that file to your desktop and it can be removed after restarting the computer. Also note that 'Username' referred to below is the name you use when logging into Windows XP.

C:\Program Files\Roxio
    C:\Program Files\Sonic
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic Shared
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Roxio
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sonic
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Roxio
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sonic
    C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Local Settings\Application Data\Roxio

Empty the recycle bin once the steps above are completed.

5. Go into your browser and clear out the cookies and browsing history. This is usually found in the Tools -> Options window under the General or Security tab.

6. Remove these keys from the registry:

WARNING: THE NEXT STEP INVOLVES EDITING YOUR SYSTEM REGISTRY. WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU EXPORT YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY EDITING. EDITING YOUR REGISTRY INCORRECTLY CAN CAUSE IRREPARABLE SYSTEM DAMAGE.

To export a copy of your registry, please do the following:
    • Go to Start -> Run. Type 'regedit' (without quotes) and click OK.
    • Locate and left click File in the upper left hand corner of the Registry editor.
    • Click Export (Export range 'All' should be selected).
    • Choose a location on your hard drive and give the file a name.
    • Click Save. Your registry should now be backed up in a .reg file to the location you specified

Registry edit instructions:
    • Go to Start -> Run. Type 'regedit' (without quotes) then click OK.
    • Double-click the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder this will expand or open the folder.
    • Locate the Software folder.
    • Locate the Roxio folder.
    • Right click on Roxio and click delete.
    • Do the same for the Sonic folder.
    • Close the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder.

Do the same for the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.

• Double-click the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder this will expand or open the folder.
    • Locate the Software folder.
    • Locate the Roxio folder.
    • Right click on Roxio and click delete.
    • Do the same for the Sonic folder.
    • Close the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.

7. Restart the computer then reinstall Media Manager 9.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The final part of point 7 is only if you wish to risk having the same issue again!

Must admit the tech guys at Roxio have impressed me with their response time on this, just wish that there hadn't of been an issue in the first place!

Regards,

Tom Snodgrass

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I tried the advice (twice), of removing all the Roxio progs. off my hard drive. Used the Windows uninstaller, went into the registry and removed the suggested keys. Deleted the suggested folders and guess what, this piece of %@*^ prog. still doesn’t work.

The program freezes up (hang apps). The Media Manager photo window states “This view produced no results” and the My Devices window states “There is no device connected. Please connect your device in order to view its contents.”

My BlackBerry HH screen shows I am connected to my computer.

I also noticed that if you cover the Media manager with another window, a web  page or word page, when the Media Manager is re-exposed, the Media Manager windows refreshes its self.

Good thing these Blackberry’s are inexpensive!!!!

I am going to contact Dell, because I have a Roxio Easy CD Creator program (now uninstalled) that won’t work with the BlackBerry Media Manager. If they have any suggestions I will post it.

Message Edited by wetlook on 06-22-2008 03:16 PM
My Device: Curve 8900

I also have the same problem after upgrading to Desktop manager v5.0. Media Manager used to work but now when it starts, there is a message that indicates "This View produced no results". I have tried your suggestions twice, including trying to install every different version of DM from 4.5 to 5.0 with the complete removals between each one. Media Manager comes up, but It's frozen. I cannot click on anything in the window, not even "yes" or "no", x, file, anything.  It's stuck on the pictures folder in the left screen, and I've even tried moving my pictures to a backup folder on another drive.  I've done a hard and soft reset and the sync utility works just fine.  I've even tried media manager with iTunes, which needs a 3rd party software to sync with BB, which still didn't work so that got removed too.  If anybody can help with a solution on this problem that would be great.  I'm at my wits end and would like to see BB come out with a Media Manager that's different from Roxio. 

I have Dell XPS 600 with Windows XP Pro, v2002, SP3 with a PentiumD and 2Gbs ram.

Thank you to anybody that might be able to help.  Smiley Sad

t41
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8330
My Carrier: sprint

[ Edited ]

A TEMPORARY FIX FOR SOME

I have same problem as rest - app hangs when initialized

However, I checked properties of roxio media manager9 by going into program files and right clicking the .exe file in that folder and changing the compatibility mode to XP-2 instead of windows 7 which I am running. The compatibility details said the problem that was causing it not to work was windows Aero mode, it turned it off and all is good. It says it will restore windows back to original mode after I close the roxio media manager, but I had to revert back manually.

I thought I would post this to help any one else out, hopefully it does.

Roxio and Blackberry need to get their act together, this is not at all acceptable, not at the price of which these phones are retailed for. I know of at least 3 people who could fix or re-engineer this program to stop it from hanging in a single afternoon, but this is Blackberry's problem.

Good luck

t41
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8330
My Carrier: sprint

UPDATE ; NOT WORKING TODAY I cant figure this **bleep** out. going to uninstall and just use drag and drop usb mass storage device for now. Really liked it when it was woirking too. It was a decent program.

Sorry to get hopes up, maybe you'll have better luck than I.Smiley Mad Seems it only worked once last night and not again at all today. WTF????????????

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 and PlayBook
My Carrier: at&t

The Roxio media manager seems to work once or twice after you reinstall it, then it breaks the computer by sending all CPU to 100%.

I can't explain it.

Is there anyone that knows why this happens?