Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Roxio Media manager for 8130 not connecting

I am unable to get Roxio Media Manager to connect to my 8130; the Blackberry software connects OK and shows it is connected - any suggestions? I will reload when I am next in office but not holding my breath. I have WinXP with all latest updates applied.

Documentation I have found is silent on this and Orange (UK) no help

Contributor

Re: Roxio Media manager for 8130 not connecting

There is a support answer on the Blackberry web site saying to remove Roxio software earlier versions; this should also include Sonic media software.

Done that, reinstalled BM V4.3 and it still doesn't work.

Orange (UK) wont support because its 3rd party software, RIM (UK) say it is Orange (UK)'s problem; Roxio's web site is no help.

The question comes did RIM and Roxio actually test this software before releasing?

Will revert to the 8100 earlier version of BM and see if that works . . .

Contributor

I had the same problem, i did a clean uninstall of the blackberry software and re-installed and then after bb manager popped up, the roxio program then launched and was then able to transfer music/pictures to media card
Contributor

I am glad there is some hope ! I have done three 'clean' installs after my initial upgrade install over the 8100 version.

Firstly I uninstalled all Sonic software that came with my HP laptop, then the Blackberry supplied software and re-installed V4.3. I uninstalled and re-installed two more times.

I am searching to see if there are any other DLLs left over from Sonic/Roxio

Not impressed

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi Ian -

Sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with Roxio Media Manager and your BlackBerry.

I have a few suggestions, and sorry if they repeat a bit or are really obvious, but just want to be sure you have our basic trouble-shooting steps:

1) Clean (un)install instructions for just about any Roxio PC app can be completed with these steps for full removal and reinstallation: 

http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR

2) You may also want to make sure that you are trying to access your BlackBerry in Media Manager through the My Devices tab (looks like a cell phone) in the upper left corner and that your BB has been added.

3) If you have a media card in your BB (I have a 4 gig one in  my 8830), you can turn on the mass storage functionality on your BlackBerry which essentially turns the device into a thumb drive. This allows larger storage capacity and easy swapping of data from your computer to your BB. Generally, this option is located in Options -> Media Card in your BB. You may want to check with BB to be safe, though.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks, 

Jon

Roxio Support 

Contributor

Reply to Jon (at Roxio Support)

1. I have used the Windows Tool to remove all the Roxio/Sonic entries; then I did a clean install.

I then unintsalled BB Desktop Manager, used the Windows Toll to again remove all the Roxio/Sonic entries; themn I did another clean install.

The BB software could address the Pearl but the Roxio software still could not 'see' the Pearl

2. The Roxio software wouldn't 'see' the Pearl from the tab or from the opening screen; the Pearl itself displayed that it was connected; verified by the BB Device Manager

3. I altered the BB options and I can address the Pearl's media card via Explorer and thanks I can now have the same functionality as I had before - old fashioned drag and drop.

I can send screen shots if it might help to get this problem fixed with the Roxio software

Thanks

ian

New Contributor

Hi Ian -

Sorry the first two suggestions didn't work out for you and, to be honest, it's a bit odd.

And  - yes - pass along the screen shots as well any technical info (similar programs, HP model number, etc) for me to pass along.

While I doubt we'll be able to fix it for this case (I'm glad option 3 worked!), it would go towards helping future customers.

Thanks,

Jon

Roxio Support 

New Contributor

I am having the exact same problem.  I have done all the things you have done and I am unsure of what exactly your solution is.  If someone can help explain it better that would be great!
New Contributor

Hi Sarah,

I should have explained a little better of the expectations for each of the three steps:

1) The clean install instructions remove any previously existing Roxio software including your current Media Manager. This helps ensure a good starting point. 

2) Describes exactly where to look in Media Manager for your BlackBerry. Some folks actually don't see the little cell phone tab where their BB is located.

3) If the previous two options don't work, then turning your BlackBerry on as a mass storage device will bypass the need for the Media Manager. You will be able to see your BlackBerry as a different drive when you open up MyComputer along with your C:/ drive. Usually, your BlackBerry will show as an E:/ or F:/ drive or even be titled with BlackBerry and the model number. You will then be able to browse the folders as you would a regular hard drive to drag and drop your files from your computer hard drive to your BlackBerry's hard drive.

This may also help your BlackBerry become recognized by Media Manager. 

While not as convenient as Media Manager, it will get you up and running for importing files onto your Blackberry. 

If you're still having issues, RIM support should be able to help you resolve these issues as well, but I would be interested in your feedback.

Hope this helps,

Jon

Roxio Support 

New Contributor

thanks for the reply.  The first 2 definitely don't work, but I am holding out hope for the 3rd. 

I tried to drag and drop files and even tried to copy music from Windows Media Player to my device and both say to check the connection.  I get a window that says:  Cannot create or replace BlackBerry: Cannot find the specified file.  Make sure you specify teh correct path and file name.

any more advice?

The mass storage mode is set to on.